Playing catch up to z28's...

• Sponsors (?)

CobraSVT95 said:
wow mustangs are so much simpler

94-95 = 5.0 pushrod
96-04 = 4.6 modular
f-bodies = complicated
F-bodies are not more complicated if you are a fan, I imagine.

94-95 = 5.0 pushrod, GT & Cobra with different heads/cam/intake/computer
96-04 = 4.6 modular, 2V or 4V, some with 215 horsepower, some with 225, some with 260, some with 305, some with 320, some with 390 and a blower. The Bullitt is in there somewhere with more than 260, but I can't remember.

And I probably missed some :). So what were you saying again about F-bodies being complicated? :stick:

Dave

mattkimsey said:
a 347 with the right h/c/i will match up well against a ls1 with h/c/i.

I dont think so...Ls1's making the 400-450hp are using stock heads. Mabey with some portwork. But If you throw on a set of edlebrock heads/custom grind cam/ls6 intake you will make way more. As in like 500hp. Even carburated chevy 350's with an edlebrock h/ci/ can make 500hp. So when one builds a 347 ford engine, using all the best components he can he still isnt going to make 500hp.

red ink said:
I dont think so...Ls1's making the 400-450hp are using stock heads. Mabey with some portwork. But If you throw on a set of edlebrock heads/custom grind cam/ls6 intake you will make way more. As in like 500hp. Even carburated chevy 350's with an edlebrock h/ci/ can make 500hp. So when one builds a 347 ford engine, using all the best components he can he still isnt going to make 500hp.

why not? are you talking fly wheel or rear wheel? with the right set compression and a sick h/c/i setup you could just drop the thought of daily driving.

I was talking flywheel hp. But my exact thoughts were aimed towards daily driving. What good is a car u can only run down a drag strip a few times? (flamesuit). I love my mustang to much to make it unstreetable no matter how much power i could have. I NEED to drive it every day.

Even so I think 500 flywheel horsepower could be streetable on a 347.
45 cubic inchs more than people on this forum that are making around 310 rwhp and with the bigger motor comes better heads intakes and cams.

How much would you guess anyone could get out of a streetable 347

95YellowGTbeasT said:
OptiWHAT??? thats all i got to say about GM's stupid invention of a ignition system all of my camaro friends hate it.

Nick

I think one coil per cylinder is a far more efficient ignition system than a distributor type. They use coil packs on Porsches too, so they must be good! :)

mattkimsey said:
the SS is just a name, they come with different wheels, hood, little different suspention, badges, and are more rare. No performance difference between SS and Z28 or WS6 and regular trans am.
Sorry but no...the regular z28 in the years 96 and 97 came with 285 horsepower while the ss was putting down 305 horsepower when they bumped to the LS1 it was 305 z28 and 320 SS until 2001 when the ss gained yet another 5 hp making 325 hp.. http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2007
don't believe me??? read on..

Ferocity02 said:
Most common is around 13.4-13.5. However, I have seen and heard of stock LS1 F-bodies in the 12.8-12.9 region, using sticky tires and one helluva driver.

If that is true a certain stock headed 5.0 gts could out run most stock f-bodys

red ink said:
Why is it that the GM 346 is going to make way more power than a Ford 347 if both engines have heads/intake with similar flow #'s??

302fordracer said:
Sorry but no...the regular z28 in the years 96 and 97 came with 285 horsepower while the ss was putting down 305 horsepower when they bumped to the LS1 it was 305 z28 and 320 SS until 2001 when the ss gained yet another 5 hp making 325 hp.. http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2007
don't believe me??? read on..

You shouldn't believe everything you read. If that article told you Hondas made 300 hp stock, would you believe it?

The FACT is, Z28's and SS's are practically the same exact thing, motor-wise. The only thing that would give the SS a little more power in the exhaust and cold air intake (air scoop). These only in reality give them a couple more dyno measured rwhp. With $300 of cat-back, the Z28 can easily make 10-15 more rwhp than an SS.

The reason GM advertised that the SS's had more power than the Z28's is for marketing reasons. Ask youself this, would you pay $5000 more for a SS with the same amount of power as a lesser priced Z28? Same goes with the C5 Vettes... GM adverised them at 350 hp, even though they have the same motor and power as the F-bodies. Its acutally 350 flywheel horsepower, but they neglected to mention that, and just said horsepower. Why would someone want to pay $20k more for a car with the same amount of power? Unfortunatly, consumers looking to buy cars have been brainwashed to think a car's overall performance is based solely on horsepower. They do not take into consideration things like weight and handling. GM sales reps know this, so they "adjusted" the HP ratings of their cars to make them more desireable to consumers.

This is the truth, and I suggest you learn the truth also before you blurt out misleading fallacies.