please advise me whether or not to buy this 89 notch with a blower for a DD

DarkoStoj

Founding Member
Sep 4, 2002
Detroit
Here is the info from the ad, its a 1989 Notchback LX

Stock shortblock 302, early Windsor worked heads, stud rockers, E cam, Performer intake, 70mm throttle body, 80mm C&L meter, 42lb injectors, Equal shorties, H-pipe, 2 chamber Flowmasters, big aluminum radiator Tremec 3550, Centerforce dual friction clutch. 4.10 gears in the stock rear end. Walbro 255lph high volume/pressure pump and T-rex type inline pump. Stock lines and rails. Procharger P600B blower, 3 core horizontal intercooler, 3" plumbing. Makes about 14 psi, although it has not really seen the far side of 5000 rpm since I have been tuning it with a Tweecer RT and trying to get the tune right. I also have a Innovative Wideband on it. Mallory Hyfire 6AL, MSD BTM, IST air adjuster. 5" Autometer tach, and boost guage. The BTM and Air adjuster are no longer needed with the Tweecer though. I think it has 86,000 miles on it.

2134146_1_full.jpg

ive been talking to him and he said he just got a Wideband and a DFI instead of teh Tweecer setup he had. I can get the car for ~5k, but know almost nothing about superchargers though. I'm no stranger to racing, nitrous, and building motors; but know NOTHING about blowers.

I took it out for a test drive and the thing ran alright, and was steaming the windshield a bit from a small leak in the heater core. The thing was in desparate need for a tune...wasn't running right at all, and the clutch was starting to slip. I brought it to about 6krpm a few times and when we brought it back there was some coolant over the engine bay(he didnt have an overflow bottle so it just squired out of the rad) and we came to the conclusion of a blown head gasket. We pulled the rad cap, and there were slight bubbles in the coolant.

Now, I think he's going to change the head gaskets, but I was curious if this seems like a good deal. Also I was curious on how hard it would be to tune the motor to the blower.

any help is appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

5K??? BUY ITT RIGHT NOW, Head gaskets arent that hard anyways but if hes gonna do it anyways better for you, heater core isnt That bad, alot of people say theres was a pain in the arse but mine wasnt bad at all. If he has the Tweecer R/T he can do a WOT in the datalogging feature and should tell you how its running, rich/lean all that good stuff. BTW if the headgasket is blown and white smoke is coming out of the pipes, dont expect it to run good...theres coolant leaking in the combustion chamber, its not gonna run like it should.

well you said daily driver so.......you'd definatly wanna maybe put different gears in it and back off the boost a bit to make it a little more daily drivable.....do you have to decide now or can you wait till he gets the head gasket issue solved??

i have some time to think about it since its not really advertised.

I just don't want to get the car and be over my head. My main concern is with getting the motor tuned and having the car run well and be decently dependable.

I don't drive much, I live on a college campus so I'd drive it on 2-3 short trips a week and once or twice a month on the highway for a couple hours.

The car also isn't in perfect shape, the inside is dirty and the interior doesn't really look all that great, but nothing too bad.

I wouldn't want it as a daily but definitely a great weekend strip car, still sounds like a super deal for all the goodies it has. Don't worry about the dirty interior, it should clean up well.