Please Help: 1995 Power Locks Not Working With Key

Hi there,

First post here (I'll introduce myself a little bit later) and I need some help!

I've got a 1995 SN95 that has issues locking.

When I bought the car, non of the power locks worked. In the end, it tuned out to be the lock and unlock switches on both sides. I took them apart and soaked them in some WD40 and now they seem to work perfect responding on the first press of the button.

However, when I turn the key in either door, the power locks still don't work. I've tested the plug that is attached to the door latch (black and blue/white wire) and there is 12v getting to it. I'm pretty confused now. My door ajar warning, headlight reminder, dome light don't work with the door either. I'm not sure if they're related.

My car doesn't have keyless entry and I can't seem to see a module in the trunk.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

C_GT

• Sponsors (?)

Gee that's funny. I didn't know that all of the doors were supposed to unlock when door key was turned. FWIIW, all of my experiences are with 1996+ model years. Are you sure that it how it's supposed to work on a 1995? I have my doubts. After all it's a Mustang and not a Lincoln.

Regarding the door ajar switch. Likely it's either rusted or jammed. It will be necessary to remove the door panel to access.

I'm not 100% sure since it's the first Mustang I've owned and I'm in the UK so trying to find another Mustang to test would be next to impossible unfortunately . However every car I've owned has always unlocked both doors with a turn of the key including 90's Ford Focus I owned. I mean, there would be no point in power locks if you can't use it from the outside.

If that's the case though, I guess I'd have to look into an aftermarket keyless entry system.

I'm assuming the wire going to the door latch then is for the door ajar switch. I thought it might have worked in conjunction with the locks.

EDIT: You could be right, I can't find any info in the 1996 manual I downloaded. I've never seen a car like that.

Last edited: