Please Help: 2013 3.7L is Hot (AC Issue?)

Manual37

5 Year Member
Jun 9, 2018
Denver, CO
Signed up and posting to try and tap the knowledge of the members here. You guys really know your stuff. So thanks in advance for reading!

Background: 2013 3.7L manual black/black 38K miles, never a service issue other than oil, battery, tires. Have not done the Takata recall yet.

Car has seemed unreasonably hot the whole time I have owned it. I have complained each summer because all I do is sweat in the car from about June - Sept (I live in Colorado). I wear business clothes to work so nothing heavy. I weigh 175 and am fairly physically active. First Ford dealership wouldn't look at it. Second put an infrared thermometer on the vent and said it was fine.

This is my fourth Mustang and never experienced anything like this (my '99 was also black and loved it!). Nor I have had this happen in any other car that didn't have A/C problems. The best I can describe it is that the air from the A/C never really cools the car. It also feels like heat is radiating up from the center console and into the seats.

Yesterday I drove the car for 20 minutes. News station said it was 92 at the time. Car was parked in my garage out of direct sunlight. This is what I had after 20 of MAX A/C: 96 outside (always higher than actual), 88 in the car, ~50 at the vents.

IMG_191511.jpg

The vents never seem to go below 50. When I punch the car it will warm up slightly (I assume A/C clutch disengages for engine demand) and then get cool again but never really cold.

Ford has extended my warranty on this issue because it was reported and documented before expiration.

Any advice on what to do before I call Ford back this year?

• Sponsors (?)

My A/C seems to not work very well on my 2011 v6 until I put the setting on 'Max Air'. Then it will freeze my butt off :) Maybe your Freon is low? I've also read when the coolant in the radiator is low, some times the A/C doesn't work very well. If you have to keep adding antifreeze to your radiator, your water pump might be going bad. Water pump needing replaced is very common for our v6's. Let us know how it goes :)

Do [not] repeat: Do [not] start servicing that system on your own regardless of how many folks tell you that "a can of recharge worked for me :bs:".

Most of those parts stores cans contain lubrication oil. Just like the oil in your engine, it is required to be at a specific level. Adding parts store cans of refrigerant instantly over services the oil.

Make an appointment with a dealership, doesn't matter which one. Tell them that the air-conditioner doesn't cool under normal driving conditions and tell them to [fix it]. Ask for the name of the service manager and his card. Describe only your symptoms and [not] your analysis of what the problem might be.

If it is out of warranty, then you have the option of taking it to a place that specializes automotive A/C systems.

Refrigerant does not need to be low for this issue to occur. The low limit switch on the condenser is a suspect, as is the vent temp probe. It really needs to be diagnosed with the proper tools. These tools are not things that most folks have on hand. I've been wrenching for more than 30 years and I don't have this equipment.

My A/C seems to not work very well on my 2011 v6 until I put the setting on 'Max Air'. Then it will freeze my butt off :) Maybe your Freon is low? I've also read when the coolant in the radiator is low, some times the A/C doesn't work very well. If you have to keep adding antifreeze to your radiator, your water pump might be going bad. Water pump needing replaced is very common for our v6's. Let us know how it goes :)

Good advice, thank you. I checked and the orange stuff is between the lines :) So I should be okay there. Has great heat all winter long. Heats up in no time compared to my '99.

Do [not] repeat: Do [not] start servicing that system on your own regardless of how many folks tell you that "a can of recharge worked for me :bs:".

Most of those parts stores cans contain lubrication oil. Just like the oil in your engine, it is required to be at a specific level. Adding parts store cans of refrigerant instantly over services the oil.

Make an appointment with a dealership, doesn't matter which one. Tell them that the air-conditioner doesn't cool under normal driving conditions and tell them to [fix it]. Ask for the name of the service manager and his card. Describe only your symptoms and [not] your analysis of what the problem might be.

If it is out of warranty, then you have the option of taking it to a place that specializes automotive A/C systems.

Refrigerant does not need to be low for this issue to occur. The low limit switch on the condenser is a suspect, as is the vent temp probe. It really needs to be diagnosed with the proper tools. These tools are not things that most folks have on hand. I've been wrenching for more than 30 years and I don't have this equipment.

Thank you! I knew this was outside of my wheelhouse which I why I haven't messed with it.

I called Ford on the existing case and was told by regional that I had to open a new one (?!?) before she could help me. Sent me back to 1-800 then the CSR just opened the existing case! Said I can expect a call next week. ESP should be extended on this but even if it's not I would pay a decent independent shop to finally get this fixed. I don't think I'm spending much money at the dealerships after the experiences I've had.

I really like the car otherwise and want to hang on to it.