Please Help,5.0 Ho Swap Into F150

• Sponsors (?)

If your F150 is already 5.0 then it should be a direct swap but you might have to change the timing cover from your truck and use your truck accessories and brackets. I'm sure it has been done before.

Hi, I updated your title and moved your thread to a higher traffic area.
This way you will get more responses to your questions.
I know the firing order for an H.O 302 is different than a non-H.O 302
0B7B6C59-7848-4DA9-8FBD-AD9705CC12E2.jpeg
D9380025-7204-497C-8CC4-3E6CCDE0D3C5.jpeg

That being said,I don’t think it’s a big deal-and as long as you still have the complete motor for the truck. All the parts you will need to swap are there :)

Reactions: 1 user
The 302 cam doesn't have as much torque down low as the truck engine. Check the rotation of the water pumps.

You will have to rewire the fuel injectors to match the trucks sequential firing order... If you plug the harness up on the mustang engine the injectors won't fire in the correct order because the firing order I'd different.

The 302 cam doesn't have as much torque down low as the truck engine. Check the rotation of the water pumps.

You will have to rewire the fuel injectors to match the trucks sequential firing order... If you plug the harness up on the mustang engine the injectors won't fire in the correct order because the firing order I'd different.

Would that still be the case if he swapped the truck upper/lower intake-fuel rails/injectors and distributor into the H.O 302?

Would that still be the case if he swapped the truck upper/lower intake-fuel rails/injectors and distributor into the H.O 302?

The only way that changes is if he put the truck camshaft in the mustang motor....or an aftermarket truck camshaft.

The injectors fire with the firing order for the truck, programmed into the truck computer. The engined firing order is determined by the camshaft ...and that is different.

You can easily re-route spark plug wires to match the firing order....not so easy with injectors.

Does the cam determine the firing order between the 5.0 and 5.0 ho? Is it as easy as swaping the plug wires? I ask because it was a topic of dicussion years ago when I was selling a ho engine to a guy that wanted to put it in a truck, did a little research back then but got a lot of 'you gotta do this, no you gotta do that' and no real info.

The cam does indeed determine the firing order.

In regards to the F-150, his truck should already have the 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 firing order. Check the underhood sticker to be sure. If that is the case, there really isn't any difference between his engine and the Mustang engine other than the aforementioned cam.

Id say 90sickfox is the one that tryed to steer someone wrong with his low end talk. Its in the numbers in front of us the ho makes more torgue witch is low end power according to that same bs

Step away and look what the cat drug in....

The truck makes 245lb at what ? 2400rpm.... The 91 5.0 mustang engine reaches its peak torque at 300ft pounds at 3200rpm. The f150 shift points are around 2 to 2500rpm... The stock mustang engine is a dog in a truck.

The torque curve of the truck engine ramped up faster bringing more torque in the lower rpms. The mustang engines torque came in further up the rpm scale and is flatter.

In my research I found that the 95 truck 5.0 is a 5.0 HO. It has the same firing order as the mustang for 95 and 96.

The difference in torque may have come from the intake....seeing as though everything else is the same.

You've got a lot to learn...and as your email suggest you are a grumpy one. If you had a 94 truck then what I said would ring true. It still rings true that the HO engine makes power higher in the rpm band. Maybe the 95 has different shift points... seeing as though you never mentioned if stick or auto.

I know a little about a lot when it comes to mustangs. You are here asking question about a mustang engine into a truck. I've got first hand experience with that swap ( numerous times ).

Its kind of surprising. You new guys jump right in here asking questions that could easily be answered with a quick google search.

I gave you the best info I had at the time. Now, I know a little more....

The trucks make torque lower in the power band, mustang make more torque higher in the power band, and....you're a jerk.

We do accept jerks here...so...welcome to the forum.

I think we can take a step back here, first I was poke'n fun at him, second the hp and torque numbers I posted are generic 302 ci truck engines that are lower compression than the 5.0 ho engine in the mustangs, I didn't check compression numbers, cam specs or inductions, I know a 95 was a roller engine but as for being an ho sickfox would know more than I.
And google makes me sound like I know what I'm talking about, I agree most of the questions can be found with some research, well, maybe not the 'my motor makes a funny noise when I cough, whats wrong with it' questions, we can still handle that.

You failed to say what the torque of the ho motor is at that same max toqrgue point of truck motor sir. Whats the torgue of the ho motor at 2400 rpm thats were the true answer is sir.. how about i say again real world numbers. That means you compare them at the same rpm its the only real way.