Please help!!! Burnt up clutch #2!!!!!!!!!

9 Deuce GT

Dec 10, 2003
Geneva, NY
When I bought this car in '97, I thought it had a heavy duty clutch from the previous owner, as it was really hard to push in the clutch. Ran it that way until last Oct. when I burnt up that clutch. No biggie, it lasted quite a few years under my ownership. I was amazed at the fact that I seemed to be taking out a stock looking clutch, when it did not fell like a stock pedal. Oh, well, I replaced it with a Spec Stage 2. Everything was fine initially, pedal effort was nice and light, thought I was in good shape. Then during the 500 mile break in preiod, I thought I felt the pedal getting harder to push in. I immediatly thought stock plastic quad. trouble. I ordered a UPR triple hook quad. w/FWA. I put that in this spring. Since then, it has never felt right, but all of the adj. were done properly.

Well I had a set of 3:73's installed today, and I tried it out, and the clutch started to slip. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

This clutch has less than 3000 miles on it. I barely drive my car. What is the deal. The only thing that I did not change with all of this was the clutch cable. It seemed fine, no snags or any other deformations. Any ideas as to what the problem is?

• Sponsors (?)

9 Deuce GT said:
When I bought this car in '97, I thought it had a heavy duty clutch from the previous owner, as it was really hard to push in the clutch. Ran it that way until last Oct. when I burnt up that clutch. No biggie, it lasted quite a few years under my ownership. I was amazed at the fact that I seemed to be taking out a stock looking clutch, when it did not fell like a stock pedal. Oh, well, I replaced it with a Spec Stage 2. Everything was fine initially, pedal effort was nice and light, thought I was in good shape. Then during the 500 mile break in preiod, I thought I felt the pedal getting harder to push in. I immediatly thought stock plastic quad. trouble. I ordered a UPR triple hook quad. w/FWA. I put that in this spring. Since then, it has never felt right, but all of the adj. were done properly.

Well I had a set of 3:73's installed today, and I tried it out, and the clutch started to slip. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

This clutch has less than 3000 miles on it. I barely drive my car. What is the deal. The only thing that I did not change with all of this was the clutch cable. It seemed fine, no snags or any other deformations. Any ideas as to what the problem is?

I would guess that you either have a RMS leak or else you glazed the clutch during breakin by having the stock plastic adjusting mechanism. What makes you think the clutch is going now after the gear change? Putting in 3:73s would make it easier for your car during normal take off .... much less grip needed than accelerating with 2:73s.

It's deff. slipping. You can't accelerate hard in any gear without the tach jumping way up with absolutely no acceleration. The new clutch, (and old clutch for that matter) has never felt right. By right, I mean the same as any other Mustang I have felt. When I get in any one of my friends Mustangs, the clutch always feels similar. Pressing down the clutch pedal on mine felt like some sort of weight training.

This may be a stupid question, but have you swapped cables??? :shrug: I thought I was having clutch issues until I replaced the cable... a bad cable can cause a lot of problems as well as heavy pressure on the pedal.

That is the only piece that I did not change. I actually have one in the garage. I had heard that the stock one was the strongest, and after inspection of the stocker, I thought it was in good shape. Maybe not.

I had the clutch cable on the middle hook, (like recommended by every post that I search for on here), and with the FWA all the way in, the pedal had some freeplay. I kick myself now for not jacking it up and taking the cover off the Clutch fork area and inspecting. Tonight we tried to put the cable on the first hook, and there was a ton of slack in the cable. I had to adjust the FWA almost all the way out to get the cable right. But the pedal had to be pushed all the way into the floor with force to be abe to shift. It didn't matter, as the clutch slipped anyway, really badly.

Maybe the cable was streched?