please help me figure out what his noise might be?(kinda long)

MattsYellow95GT

Jul 16, 2005
Ok so ever since i did my head swap i have this awful kinda hissing/ticking noise from my car. Well the othe night i said well my hpipe is hanging its been that way ever ssince i installed it in 30 degree weather. Anyway so i loosen all 4 bolts which were already pretty loose by the way and put a jack under the crosspipe and jack it up and tighten them. awesome now its flush with the mufflers and all my noise should be gone right? Wrong! the noise is quiete but it still is not gone. So there is only 2 things it could be now one is header leak the other is rocker. Now ive been told that the crane cobra rockers since they are made out of a diff material are more noisy than the stock stamped rockers. I put brand new 1.72 crane ped rockers in when i dis the headswap and im pretty sure i torqued them right it said once they are handtight do 1/4 more turn (u can't really overtighten them can u?) and then i turned over the motor by hand several times to check everything and even put my valve covers on with no gasket and turned them over to make sure they were not tapping the VC's. Do these have to be retorqued or soemthing like that after the initial install? I used my stock pushrods cause i thought they looked perfectly fine. he car runs fine ive done some 6k runs so i don't think i bent a pushrod or anythign like that. Now also i put fms shorty headers on there which were a beotch by the way. the tubes are so much bigger that u can only get a open end wrench on them and thas not easy. I tightened them down pretty good when i did the headswap and used felpro gaskets but have not touched them since. Which one of those 2 things would yall think is causing the leaks. I can get nexxt to a wall like at a drivethru and hear it real good. Also when driving and when i go to clutch it and shift gears u can hear it hissing as the rpms are coming down. the rpms kinda act sometimes like they wanna hold longer than they used also. that may be the TB though the spring on this fms one is stiffer than my stock one was. Thanks for the help guys!!!

• Sponsors (?)

A hissing noise sounds like an exhaust leak. You said your h-pipe was loose maybe the bolts to the heads are also loose and the header gasket needs replacing.

roller rockers do tick a little louder than stamped steel but did you shim them correctly otherwise they'll tick more than normal