Please help me find this smog hose

jtfairlane

Mar 5, 2006
I am looking for the curved (almost S shaped) smog hose that goes from the smog pump area to the big nipple on the AIR management valve (the one that diverts air to the cylinder heads and cats, located on the passenger side of the engine between the strut tower and the header).

I can't find a listing in any of the major parts stores, or on 50Resto.

Any help or a Ford part # would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Your best bet is actually to go poke through your local auto parts store's pre-formed heater hose collection and find the closest match. If the parts guy is cool about it, they'll just let you mosey on back there and fumble through the bunch until you find something that looks like it'll fit. Just take some diameter measurements and sort of guesstimate the length, and you should be fine.

Probably about the only two places you'll find an exact OEM replacement for that hose is through Ford or a place like 50resto.com, and you'll likely spend two or three times more than you would for basically the same exact hose you'd find in the heater hose section for less than $10. It's not like it has to be super-duper high-temp or anything, it's just going to have slightly warm air running through it from the smog pump to the valve - all of the high-heat air/exhaust is going to be down towards the H- or X-pipe end of things, where you'd need a silicone hose to handle the temps, but otherwise you should be fine.

Thanks for the reply darkwriter77.

I had considered your recommendation, but the problem is...is that hose has two different diameter ends. One end is a larger diameter (the side that connects to the A.I.R. management valve) and the other end is slightly smaller. This means that finding a close match at a parts store likely won't work, since their hoses will be one consistent diameter, and leaves pretty much the only option of finding a direct replacement.

I had to do a similar dance and Darkwriter's advice is very good. I ended up also needing a coupler in the middle of the hose to have it articulate properly. Between the parts-store hoses, Lowes' plumbing dept and some tinkering, you should be able to make it work.

Otherwise, I'd get with a Ford parts man and get a part number and start internet hunting or calling around.

If you dont mind used stuff, hit a J/Y or maybe someone on here has stripped their smog stuff out of their car and will give you their hose for shipping costs.

Good luck.

With the huge number of 5.0 engines in a boneyard, you might get lucky and find the one you need off a lincoln or t-bird or something. They all used very similar parts through the 80's and 90's.

I went through this same problem last summer. As ford they will probably give you a part number, but according to them part is not available anymore. They said that there were 2 are a dealership in Alabama, I called and no luck there either. They don't sell it at 50resto and I even called goodyear and gates and niether make a replacement anymore.

Your best bet is to do as Darkwritter suggested, if they will allow it. I couldn't find anything close, so did piece together something with bulk high heat hose and some heater hose elbows that were black and it looks ok for now.

If you find something let us know, it is a part that is definately needed to be made by somebody. I will try to find a new one this summer after my engine is rebuilt.

Good luck