Please help me sort out these timing chain cover bolts!

pyroman

Founding Member
Jul 28, 2002
Ennis, Texas
Hey guys, thought you might be able to help me out on this one. I'm about to put my timing chain cover on and I have all the water pump and timing chain cover bolts, but I don't know what goes where! I should have taken a picture before I took it off but I failed to do so and the different lengths of each bolt are throwing me off. I have an alternator of course, power steering, a/c and I think that is all that could possibly bolt to it. Its a 289 by the way. Here is a picture of the cover and the bolts I had bagged under "timing chain cover" bolts. I also have the water pump bolts separated so they are not in the picture.

If you could tell me what goes where and what accessory bracket bolts where. If you need any more pics just let me know, thanks!

DSC_0271.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0271.jpg
    DSC_0271.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 539
  • Sponsors (?)

i can tell a few of them, but you're going to have to guess and check. attach the timing cover, then go with the longest bolts and when they bottom out you know they dont work. the longest I believe are for the alternator mount and pwr steering pump. the shortest are often the ones that go from water pump to timing cover. the middle longest ones should go through the water pump, through the timing cover, into the block. guess and check is the game here.