Please Help!

So the intake manifold on my 98gt went out and started leaking coolant so i bought one from a junkyard, i got it out of a crown vic and used the coolant sensors from the crown vic, now my temp gauge on the dash gets really hot like almost onto the H but i dont think it has actually left the normal range, the point is before i put this intake on my car never had overheating issues and the temp gauge usually stayed at halfway or slightlyy below, what am i doing wrong???

• Sponsors (?)

Im not sure i believe it was early 2000s
Well a 2001+ Crown Vic is PI where as an older model year is non-PI.

Are the intake ports tear drop shaped or more square (PI)?

The 1996-1998 Mustang uses two temperature sensors. One for the PCM and the other for the dash. The sensor's output are NOT compatible two each other.

Is there a reason you aren't using the original sensors?

Try this. Go to www.oreillyauto.com and look up the temperature sensor for your car. Go to the compatibility tab which will give a list of other cars that the same part will interchange.

Last edited:
Well a 2001+ Crown Vic is PI where as an older model year is non-PI.

Are the intake ports tear drop shaped or more square (PI)?

The 1996-1999 Mustang uses two temperature sensors. One for the PCM and the other for the dash. The sensor's output are NOT compatible two each other.

Is there a reason you aren't using the original sensors?

Try this. Go to www.oreillyauto.com and look up the temperature sensor for your car. Go to the compatibility tab which will give a list of other cars that the same part will interchange.
It is not a PI i know that much maybe it was like a 99-00 but thanks for the help

It is not a PI i know that much maybe it was like a 99-00 but thanks for the help
Also i am getting the p0117 code which I believe is the coolant temp sensor code, the temp gauge does not work however it did work when i first installed the manifold off the crown vic, that is how i know the temperature was going up, i dont think a failing sensor would cause the engine to actually overheat would it??

Also i am getting the p0117 code which I believe is the coolant temp sensor code, the temp gauge does not work however.
Have you inspected the wiring harness and connectors for damage? Seems likely to me being as both worked before the job was done and now neither works.

Suggest checking your work. Look for a pinch wiring harness or wiring damage right at the connector.

>>
P0117 - Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Circuit Low Input

Indicates the sensor signal is less than Self-Test minimum. The ECT sensor minimum is 0.2 volts or 121°C (250°F).

• Grounded circuit in harness
  • Damaged sensor
  • Improper harness connection
  • Damaged PCM
ECT V PID reading less than 0.2 volts with key ON and engine OFF or during any engine operating mode indicates a hard fault.

Reactions: 1 user