Please Post Your Gas Mileage

• Sponsors (?)

Well mt GT averaged about 17-19 mpg city, 260 miles on a tank avg, but I just got done with a nice long road trip, Used hwy or interstate most of the way, used a/c 90% of the time and had to deal with mountainous terran, But seemed to average a very respectable 27-29 mpg and an unbeleavable 500 miles to a tank est by the comp. I was pleasently surprised how well the car did on the hwy/interstate. :cheers:

On the road (1000 miles!) back home from the dealership: 25.2 MPG!
In town driving to and from work: just shy of 20 MPG (it changes pretty consistently)... really good for a V8, but of the distance between work and home, over 90 percent is freeway on which I always manage hit a little stop and go.

It seems like I am getting horrible mileage. Part of it is my lead foot, but I can't help the fact I love the sound of the car.

Those of you that are getting good MPG what are your shift points?

jlisle01 said:
Shift points don't really matter that much. The shifter is not hooked up to the fuel system, it's that little pedal on the right that matters.

What?? The gas pedal controls the flow of gas? No kidding? damn! :rolleyes:

What you shift at would make all the difference. If you were constantly shifting at 2500 RPM at a moderate rate you would certainly use less fuel over time than gunning it to 5K every gear to get to you desired speed.

jlisle01 said:
Shift points don't really matter that much. The shifter is not hooked up to the fuel system, it's that little pedal on the right that matters.

lets simplify this, if it takes x fuel to keep the car running at 2000 rpm (rotations per min) then wouldn't you agree that it would take more then x to have the motor spin at 6K rpm (rotations per min).

If you still dont get it.... :shrug: then let me add this, when the motor rotates (rpm) the valves are opening and closing and fuel and air are added and exhausted, the faster the motor rotates the more often fuel and air will be added, in essence it will use more gas at higher rpms.

on a recent trip to West, TX from Mckinney TX about 2hrs at 80-85 got 26.9 mpg in my GT 5-speed. Besides that my average over a 3000 mile oil change is 19.1 mpg, medium highway miles and lots of stop and go. 13k miles and lovin mile of it.

Turbo 05 said:
lets simplify this, if it takes x fuel to keep the car running at 2000 rpm (rotations per min) then wouldn't you agree that it would take more then x to have the motor spin at 6K rpm (rotations per min).

If you still dont get it.... :shrug: then let me add this, when the motor rotates (rpm) the valves are opening and closing and fuel and air are added and exhausted, the faster the motor rotates the more often fuel and air will be added, in essence it will use more gas at higher rpms.

You're on the right track, but it's a little more complicated.

You are correct in that to keep the engine running there is a minumum amount of fuel that must be used to maintain the A/F mix ratio. The faster the engine spins the more air it pumps so the more fuel is needed.

However, what you are not considering is that amount of fuel depends on the load the engine is under. The higher the load (given the same RPM) the more fuel is needed) Saying it another way: It takes less fuel to rev, your engine to 5K in neutral while sitting in you driveway than running down the road in 4th gear pulling 5K RPM while going 114 MPH.