Plexiglass scratch repair

Repostyle

Jun 11, 2005
Portland, OR
Hey guys,

My race car has a plexiglass windshield in it and it's scratched from washing the car so nothing too deep. Just wondering if anyone else here has plastic windows and what products you've used to buff out the scratches.

• Sponsors (?)

I have used several products to "renew" the lexan in my past projects.
You can typically get them at all auto parts stores made specifically for it. Or you can go to a automotive paint supply if you want something "better".
(read more expensive)

I do have a couple of questions/concerns.

You should have polycarbonate (i.e. Lexan) in your car, NOT plexiglass.

Polycarbonate can be had in a standard and "scratch resistant" finish and either is almost unbreakable. Plexiglass is very breakable, shatters very easily and the resulting broken pieces are very sharp. Coincidentally because of the potential for making plexi into a "plastic knife" it is the preferred material for making a "shank" at your local prison.

So please tell me that you actually have Lexan in your car, and not something that will end up sticking out of you in the event of a wreck.

It is Lexan, but when I say that to most people they reply with "WTF is that?"

I tried headlight restorer from Turtle Wax, but that actually made it worse (small area on pass. side). How 'bout just a rubbing compound and a buffer?

It works as long as you are careful to not get the plastic too hot, then it starts to do weird s**t and you are really screwed. I've always been able to buff taillights to look like new, so you should be able to do the same w/ your windshield.