Plug and play for a 93

• Sponsors (?)

Stinger PIMPXS if you want a megasquirt product.

now things you should know.... batch fire vs sequential... you will make 0 more HP with a sequential setup, however it will be easier to get it to idle lean and with enough tuning you will get a smidgen more MPG, you also get the ability to tune fuel per cylinder [ as if any of us need that ability at our power levels ]

I do highly recommend if you are getting your MS to go with the MS3 platform like mentioned above. It will have the ability to do/handle anything you can throw at it.

Sorry I didn't mention regarding the intended purpose and expectations. Thinking along the lines of 347 or bigger short with aftermarket block. High flow cylinder heads, maybe Victors, carb style intake and a blower. Already in place is long headers, T56 close ratio 6 speed, 31 spline 8.8. Looking for 125-130 mph in the quarter.

I like torque, off idle, street manners, driving in high gear, highway and drag racing. Roll racing and high speed is not priority to me.

You are saying MS3 is plug and play? I thought I read the only plug and play was MS2 and I am not stuck on MS, in fact Pro M seems to have all the options I'm looking for covered like coil on plug, fan control, rev limiter, meth control and it is plug and play with Ford connectors.

Stinger pimpxs is plug and play ms3. Look up the stinger website for more information. I have everything you mentioned and more on my build using a microsquirt based diypnp with a tinyxio expansion board.
20180907_113919.jpg

Ms systems can run any method of tuning, I have this engine tuned MAF, SD and AlphaN.... I got bored one day, I tune these all the time remotely. If you can think of it Ms does it, just much cheaper.

Thanks for sharing that A91. The Stinger system is alot cheaper. Did you need any other items to use it like MAF, or other sensors? How does it trigger engine speed to the MS?

Both offer tons of features but one tiny feature mentioned on Pro M is defueling while decelerating. I seen a FI Tech system that performed well but was popping or backfiring through the exhaust on decel. Pretty sure defueling would solve this.

Thanks for sharing that A91. The Stinger system is alot cheaper. Did you need any other items to use it like MAF, or other sensors? How does it trigger engine speed to the MS?

Both offer tons of features but one tiny feature mentioned on Pro M is defueling while decelerating. I seen a FI Tech system that performed well but was popping or backfiring through the exhaust on decel. Pretty sure defueling would solve this.
The rpm signal is brought in on whatever sensor you have setup for it. On mine it's a crank position sensor (just like the explorer 5.0) for the stock TFI distributor the rpm signal comes in from the pip signal.
Defuel on deceleration is very simple in the Ms you can have it pull fuel on deceleration through the acceleration enrichments, or if you want you can setup "overrun fuel cut" basically it cuts fuel altogether when the throttle is lifted or your coasting. You get to define these settings so you can do it however you like.

If it can be done on an engine the ms3 can do it.

I know this post is a couple months old so I'm curious what system you went with ?

I installed the Pro-M system in my 95 and will give my thoughts. I don't have anything to compare it to so I'm not going down that path of which is better. Just few quick bullet points.
-you will need Pro-m harness to support the ecm because Pro-m eliminates things vs old harness. No longer has the ecrm, the tif is gone as well. Of course the changes made are model year specific.
-everything is top notch quality and harness fits just like the old one.
-You give Chris at Pro-m information on your setup when you order and he sets up the initial tune for your car and e-mails it to you for you to load onto the ecm.
-My car started instantly. This is the first FI system I've had. I've never had a carburetor system start this easy.
-I did upgrade my fuel system per Chris recommendation and also replaced the innards in the MSD distributor.
-the software is pretty simple to use after you figure it out. The bad is there's no documentation for the software or any of the system.
-my car is a dedicated track car and I did not like the decel option. It was spooky the way the slightest lift of the throttle and it would cut out. There may be a adjustment for this but again no documentation to explain anything. You can adjust the rpm level that it kicks in. I raised mine to 8k rpm and no issues now.
-Chris is very helpful and easy to get in contact with.
So overall the system a quality unit and is a true plug n play and will work just fine for me since I'm not a tuner and don't want to be.

But, and there's always some buts, right ! Things I didn't like about Pro-M and for me they were turn offs to ever buy another system.
-as mentioned above there is absolutely no documentation
-none of the wire harness connectors are marked. In my case I bought the car as a roller and was not familiar with what all the connectors plug into. I have found out that you can strip back the harness protection and the wires are marked for what they are. But who wants to do this on a new harness.
-Pro-m has their on-line videos on installation and startup that give a good over view of the installation.

But the most negative to me is if you have a question you must contact Pro-m and Chris is the only one that will help you. This is where some documentation and a on-line list of how to's on their website would be very helpful . This is apparently by design. But the problem is that Chris does a poor job communicating with his customers. He acts like your bothering him and is rather condesending and really doesn't want to share anymore information about what you have just bought than is necessary. There settings in the software that you don't know what they do and when you ask Chris he will tell you it doesn't apply to you. Will not explain what it does. For me this attitude does not work. So if you are willing to put up with Chris then it's a good system.

Good Luck

Michics, I also went with Pro M for my 93. Chose the optional Coil Near Plug and DLG1 Innovate widebands.

I did alot of research before deciding on a system. Found many people have high regards for the system they have but few have experience with different brands and nobody have experience with Pro M and other systems to compare to each other.
Similar to I respect your opinion on F150's if you have seat time in a Silverado and a Ram. If you ONLY drove an F150 your opinion holds less weight.

Personally I have zero experience with any programmable ECU from anybody. Pro M is my first. It is a high quality system. It is definately a plug and play. Followed the instructions and it was up and running. Made some changes to the electric cooling fan parameters and adjusted spark timing. It is what I asked for buy now that it is in the car I wish I was given an option for where is your battery. With my battery in the trunk my Pro M computer power wire travels up to the front because this is where it is expecting the battery to be but since it's in the trunk. There is only a 4 ga wire feeding from the back.

I do feel the same way as you Michics, Chris is not pleasant to talk to. This would be fine in a parking lot hang out but it is his job to support us with the product. I also prefer documentation and tagged connectors. Rather that the longest wire goes to the front and and the shortest to the rear but I was able to plug it all in and it works great.