Plug Wires

Lynx331

Jan 5, 2004
Chicago IL
Im thinkin aboutgetting new plug wires, since i have 90,000 miles on my current wires. Whould I see ANY performance gain by putting on new wires? I was thinking MSD Super Conductors... but i dunno what would be a good choice 4 my car, if i should even bother changing them?

• Sponsors (?)

With the original wires and 90K miles on them you probably will see some improvement in how your car runs. A little better gas mileage and performance. I put on JBA wires(I think they are 9mm) and my car runs great.

01White5spd said:
With the original wires and 90K miles on them you probably will see some improvement in how your car runs. A little better gas mileage and performance. I put on JBA wires(I think they are 9mm) and my car runs great.

I had Jacobs wires AND their DIS ignition on at the same time and if I did not feel anything from both of them, I'd be willing to bet what you felt was more wishful thinking than real improvements.

yeah, I didn't really notice any real performance gain it just felt like it ran smoother after I changed the wires. It probably was just wishful thinking since I only had 30k miles on the original wires, plus I also did fuel filter, pcv valve, cleaned my K&N and ran injector cleaner so that might of all helped. In his case with 90k miles he might actually have a real difference, especially if he does a complete tune up with the plugs, fuel filter, air filter, etc...

right now i have the original wires, and Bosch Plugs. I just did a ohm test on my wires one wire showed 3 ohms resistance, the next showed 6 ohms, and then the last one i test had 8 ohms of resistance. Does anyone know that my resistance should be on 1997 Wires? Is this resistance ok, or is it time for new wires.... I really want the new wires for looks etc, but my dad says that mine are fine, but if im not mistaken aren't all of the wires supposed to have around the same resistance regardless how long they are?

At that mileage on original wires, you should really change them.

Also, In my experience Bosch plugs are not very good. They tend to foul after a few thousand miles. I had the +4s and they ran well at 1st then were all fouled in 15,000 miles. I've heard a lot of other people who have had the same problems with Bosch as well. I would use Autolite or Motorcraft plugs.

I am not sure if you read the ohms test right. I belive that stock wires have about 700 ohms of resistance per foot. High performance wires have about 30-50 ohms and size does matter (just like every where else) LOL ohms increases with length. But be carefull with what wires you buy some might interfear with your radio. Somebody correct me if i am wrong or have the just of it. :flag:

SDstangz said:
I am not sure if you read the ohms test right. I belive that stock wires have about 700 ohms of resistance per foot. High performance wires have about 30-50 ohms and size does matter (just like every where else) LOL ohms increases with length. But be carefull with what wires you buy some might interfear with your radio. Somebody correct me if i am wrong or have the just of it. :flag:
Well i wouldnt worry too much about your radio. But if the coating on the wire doesn't hold the magnetic flux in well enough, it could interfere with the electronics of your car. But wires and plugs make no real difference unless they were the cause of your problems. So, id get new wires just because yours are old. Btw, i would still say go with a damn copper plug. Those stupid iridiums and platinums and whatever they are don't help at all. Ill explain why. All they do is add more flat contact spaces for the spark to go to. After a while the flat piece on a spark plug can become rounded. These people add more of them (up to 4 i think) so it looks like you have 4 instead of one. Well a spark only flies from 1 to 1 at any one given moment. So having 3 more only increase the life of the plug, not performance. And sometimes, they add more of those because they actually are a crappier plug. Hence, they need 4 instead of one since they are lower quality. Just figured id throw that in.