Pokageek's Pain thread. 351 stroker (414c.i.) swap PROBLEMS.

-

Interestingly, I thought this would be easier since my H/C/I experience on the 302. Amazing all the pitfalls. Again most of my frustration came from inexperience and wait time. That can be avoided if you have more than one source of help locally.

• Sponsors (?)

-
-

#1 With the big cam, it doesn't act as streetable under 65mph..it's better with the 3.55's by far than the 3.27's.. but still.

#2 The 3.55 was the right gear though. I wouldn't go any higher. BUT I would like a little more go at like..55 or 60. The headers will prolly make it more bearable tho.

MORE:
- I fixed the annoying Squeal coming out of the TB. It was the TB spacer and/or the gaskets used. :nice:
- The panhard mar from MM motorsports..I am getting good traction especially out of the turns but not sure I really need it for street. It also transfers some of the rear gear noise into the cabin and knocks sometimes when I am making a slow turn. Not sure if I am going to keep it.
- Got the 255's Z rated on. it takes off better but its got a lot of low end and will RIP and set of tires I put on it I think.

I thought I updated this but apparently not. The Pro comps WERE the bottle neck! I am now just over 401rwhp and 432rwtq. Lets see what the long tubes do next...

The car is running great with no issues finally! The lifters were causing #5 issue on the last page and now it idles AND runs excellent! I've gone back and forth and after driving a while longer, the 3.55's and trans were just right. Bigger cams .. well its a give and take. It drives fine.

I thought I would update this. The car had long-tubes on it adding 60rwtq down low and overall TQ went to over 443rw. HP went to 421rw on a dynojet. Major tq difference.

I then had a PMS computer replace the chip and added a more street-able cam adding another 50rwhp@5500RPM and the TQ ended up at 484rwtq.

I still have problems if I floor it top gear at 2000-2200RPM. It pops and misses a little. Other than that it is fine.

I also replaced the open breathers with an evac system and I no longer have fumes and smoke coming into the cabin and emanating from the hood. EDIT- this made the rings seal better also add hp to the car. Some folks have seen as much as 30rwhp from this alone on track and QM built cars especially.