Police Interceptor going in

JimGT

Aug 17, 2011
Hello all, this is my first post . I just got my first Mustang. 01GT 5 speed. LOVE it:nice: Only bad thing is I blew the motor before I even got the tag from annex. :notnice: But dude. i had my foot up it so far my toe put a hole in the radiator :lol: It ran stong till #1 started to dbl knock. :shrug: I pick up my new one in 2 days. Its out of a Police Interceptor 03 with 80,000 on it for $700 what am I going to need to change besides taking off fly wheel off the old one and putting it on the new? Any input is appreciated my fellow mustangers.

• Sponsors (?)

Flooring a mustang doesn't blow the engine. There was something wrong with the car when you bought it.

Your new motor is the same type right (romeo or windsor)? If not the flywheel is not the same.

I called the yard they said they had a 03 police interceptor, only problem is the 4.6 police interceptor came out 1997-2011 so I'm now questioning the whole deal. The only way I know of to tell the difference between a windsor & romeo is by counting the value cover bolts. If I'm right anything past the 05 or newer won't bolt up to transmission. I'm new to Fords so I'm unsure what will match up. And by the way I've put my foot in it a whole lot...it drifts really good :D
Anyone know which has more horsepower 01 or 03? Just found an 01 $100 cheaper but can't confirm the hp

The Crown Vic and Grand Marquis all used Romeo 2V SOHC 4.6 modular motors all up till the end of the production run. They did not switch to 3 valve motors in 05.

Your 01 will have a Romeo motor as well. This should be a straight forward swap.

Remember to swap the oil pan, all electronics, wiring harness, fuel induction, air induction, exhaust from the Mustang to the donor motor.

Strongly recommed getting new motor mounts.

A police motor MAY come with an external oil cooler. If it does, remove it. Use the oil filter adapter from the Mustang.

If it were me, I would discount the value for any motor from Police service. Why? Because Police cars spend so much of their time idling that mileage is not always a good indication of wear.

Try car-part.com for example prices from salvage yards in your area.

FWIIW, I have done a swap similar to this. I put a motor from a 2004 CV into my 2000 Mustang GT. My swap did involve the Windsor to Romeo swap.

The Crown Vic and Grand Marquis all used Romeo 2V SOHC 4.6 modular motors all up till the end of the production run. They did not switch to 3 valve motors in 05.

Your 01 will have a Romeo motor as well. This should be a straight forward swap.

Remember to swap the oil pan, all electronics, wiring harness, fuel induction, air induction, exhaust from the Mustang to the donor motor.

Strongly recommed getting new motor mounts.

A police motor MAY come with an external oil cooler. If it does, remove it. Use the oil filter adapter from the Mustang.

If it were me, I would discount the value for any motor from Police service. Why? Because Police cars spend so much of their time idling that mileage is not always a good indication of wear.

Try car-part.com for example prices from salvage yards in your area.

FWIIW, I have done a swap similar to this. I put a motor from a 2004 CV into my 2000 Mustang GT. My swap did involve the Windsor to Romeo swap.
Police motors, at least in my dept, dont generally last for 80,000 miles. I blew a transmission in one car and a motor in another last year. One had about 60K and one had about 70K. Lots of time idling, and when they aren't idling, the piss is getting beat out of them. My advice is to pass up that motor. Take it for what it's worth.

Hmm,ok I hear ya. I was going for horse power rating. And that showed about the most. If I used just a old lady's Crown Vic motor and use the intake manifold and throttle body off mine would I keep the same power more or less than I have have now ??
And lets say again to you all , THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT AND HELP. I Blame this on my lovely wife. It's all her fault. She is the one who let me get a Hot Rod :)

Hmm,ok I head ya. I was going for horse power rating.
This is a false hood!

The blocks are the same. The PI heads are the same. The cams are the same.

What's different between the various combinations is the trim. The exhaust, induction, and most importantly.....the tune.

A PI motor taken from a Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, or Town Car will make EXACLY the same horse power in Mustang trim as an original Mustang motor.

Thanks Screamin GT! Your advice is greatly appreciated. You made several points that was not thought of. At lunch today I went to a local salvage yard and was able to find a 01 4.6 from a Crown Vic (not a police car) with 30K so I'm going with that one. It's costing $950 but I'd rather be safe than sorry. The car look like new other then the crinkled ass end. :nice:

Can't wait, I pick up my motor today. But got a question about the one I'm taking out. The lifters would seem to go soft when I held the RMPS over 3-4k. If I would chill out would that pump back up then I could go again.

spiking it to 5k would do nothing. So I changed out the lifters on the left bank. Cuz # 1 hole started to knock. There was like sandy grit on the head. And I think some one at work gave me a hand worth of sand in the fill tube . The knock came on fast and I don't think soft lifters would make the rist pin or main barring go out would it?? When I pull it I'll tear it down to see if I can tell what went bad. Any input would help me put my mind at rest. Thx for your thoughts. :)

I will order my cams today and springs and oil pump for the new old 4.6 . Be a lot easier to do all that with it still in the back of the truck. And yes it's a 91 F150 :) Getting a Comp II Cam. And the knock in the car is getting worse. And still just coming from #1 hoe or the front on that side. Hope it can hold together. :S