Police Tint WARNING

So I got pulled over Friday 90 in a 70mph- and a long story short... besides getting a ticket for speeding, he gave me a Window Tint Removal Warning.

My Tint is 5%, rediculously badass and I wouldn't have it any other way. As he was talking to me about excessive speeding he pulled out this contraption and it read my window tint a 4%. 35% is the legal limit on our driver and passenger windows here in Kansas so I'm defintley bold for going with 5%. Anywho, he wrote me up a Warning, it looks about like a ticket does but it simply just indicates a violation number and says Warning in bold letters. The cop recommended that I remove the film and/or take it into a shop to get it done.

MY QUESTION TO YOU​
What happens if I don't go get it removed, is it on the records in the computer system now, so that if I get pulled over sometime in the future will the next cop see that warning posted? OR is it simply just a scare-tactic to get you and your vehicle back in the legal limit?

Please post thoughts and questions

• Sponsors (?)

johnt785 said:
MY QUESTION TO YOU​
What happens if I don't go get it removed, is it on the records in the computer system now, so that if I get pulled over sometime in the future will the next cop see that warning posted? OR is it simply just a scare-tactic to get you and your vehicle back in the legal limit?

Please post thoughts and questions

Most likely it will be in the database. Pa driving records will show a warning but (obviously) only if the officer enters it into the database. A violation for tint is usually entered b/c (at least in PA) each consecutive violation comes with an increase in fines. My advice if you don't want to take the tinit off: drive a little slower, and put the windows down if you see a cop.

In Pa, they have a 10-day notice where if you are pulled over for tint the officer will most likely not issue a fine and instead issue a 10-day to correct the violation notice. This happened to me twice. I would have to pull the tint off the windows, show the cop, and then I would re-tint them darker each time. I originally started w/ about 50% tint but after being pulled over twice I now have 5% all around. I did this a long time ago, before I became a lawyer, and before I relized that the tint warning could show up in the database. I was just lucky for my warnings because the officers never entered them into the database.

Thanks tunedin302, that helps alot. I'll take your advice and drive slower- this tint job was expensive and its only 2 years old.

Bubba-dough, I think the Officer would have told me about getting it taken off and then to show them at the station, but he didn't- he was pretty cool about the whole thing.

tunedin302- Are you saying theres a pretty high chance that Cops just "forget" to fill out the Warning in the computer database? Ifso, then it would just be a scare-tactic to get me to remove it.

in ga, or at least in my case(ive received plenty of warnings) most are not entered in the system.

other people mentioned the "fix it" ticket concept(where you just go show them you corrected the problem to avoid a fine)

by no means was it a scare-tatic, it was a good police officer giving you a break on a ticket, nothing more, nothing less.

so i would just fix it and be done with it. why would you get 5% when you know it needs to be 35%? seems kinda silly to me to be complaining about a law you knowingly committed.

johnt785 said:
tunedin302- Are you saying theres a pretty high chance that Cops just "forget" to fill out the Warning in the computer database? Ifso, then it would just be a scare-tactic to get me to remove it.

As generic said, it's a cop giving you a break and creating a little less paper work for himself in the process.

Maybe i'm just bitter- But I think the tints too good to let go.

generic- Silly? I hardly think so. I break all laws knowingly that I'm doing so, doesn't mean I agree to the law. Furthermore, I'll learn from them and better correct myself so that I can continue to break these laws and avoid getting caught to the best of my ability. Because 5% is worth it.

I got 2 tickets this year alone no warnings. At $110 bucks a shot it sucks. I also reccommend driving slower but the easiest way to get out of it is to call a buddy that ownes a shop and tints and tell him every friday from now on at 1 o'clock to book you an appt to take off the tint.

Then tell the officer that and he can even call and confirm!!

Dagz

johnt785 said:

I feel the same way. Interestingly enough, when I had a tinted car window broken out by a theif, the cops were able to pic up his fingerprint off the tint that had held the window pieces together and then catch the guy based on the print :)

That's what i am saying continue to drive around with the tint on and always have a staged appointment to fall back on. I works for the longest time.
It's only $50 to have the side windows redone so if it comes down to it, it is cheaper to replace the tint before a ticket, but i would push it all I could.

johnt785 said:

generic- Silly? I hardly think so. I break all laws knowingly that I'm doing so, doesn't mean I agree to the law. Furthermore, I'll learn from them and better correct myself so that I can continue to break these laws and avoid getting caught to the best of my ability. Because 5% is worth it.

well im glad you are contributing to my and the other guys in the younger age bracket's high insurance costs by knowingly breaking laws left and right. im not going to say im perfect, i do like to get on it every now and then, but whatever.

the tint issue has to with officer security, not just to make dumb laws to make money on. id rather have legal tint and live in a safer community then to worry about police officers(including my father, my brother, and our many friends, and well myself as soon as im done with college come next summer[bach. of science in criminal justice]) being killed because they cant see some punk kid pull a gun on them.

maybe its just me though:shrug:

*sigh* Is it so much to ask for just some tint. Sure 5% may be pusing it, but I don't see the harm in 20%... People who tint their windshields are ballsy and pushing it a bit though... Even though it looks sweet.

Besides, I cant stand driving a vehicle without tinted windows.. my eyes are much too sensitive.

spiff said:
*sigh* Is it so much to ask for just some tint. Sure 5% may be pusing it, but I don't see the harm in 20%... People who tint their windshields are ballsy and pushing it a bit though... Even though it looks sweet.

Besides, I cant stand driving a vehicle without tinted windows.. my eyes are much too sensitive.

20% is fine. that is actually the legal level here in ga and what i have on one of my cars.

johnt785 said:

Man, that approach to things is just arrogant and naive :nonono:

genericstang said:
the tint issue has to with officer security, not just to make dumb laws to make money on. id rather have legal tint and live in a safer community then to worry about police officers(including my father and our many friends, and well myself as soon as im done with college come next summer[bach. of science in criminal justice]) being killed because they cant see some punk kid pull a gun on them.
maybe its just me though:shrug:
:nice: Plus its driver safety, passenger safety, pedestrian safety and others that share the roadways safety. When you have family members or close friends that are law enforcement would you consider 5% worth it when some lowlife tries something sneaky on them when it all could have been prevented by a lighter tint. Or when you accidentillay back into something because your vision was impaired and damage your car, someone elses or even worse by hitting somebody, is it worth it?
BTW my cousin is a state cop, and although 20% is still illegal here, he says that when the spot light hits your car at night it lights it up fine.

bubba-dough said:
:nice: Plus its driver safety, passenger safety, pedestrian safety and others that share the roadways safety.

You are correct that the safety of officers is a concern. Unfortunately, just because something is a law certainly does not mean that individuals will follow it. As your statement implies, it is usually the "low-lifes" that do not follow the law. Therefore, having tint would seem to be like a "low-life" wearing a sign that says "criminal".

Also, while officer safety is a concern, please be aware that individuals that violate tint laws also help to preserve justice. How? Having a violation of tinted windows then gives an officer probable cause to pull that vehicle over. Once the vehicle is pulled over then the office is permitted to view items in "plain view" (w/o searching). This is the time when many bigger violations are discovered: open container, gun violations, drunk driving, drugs, etc. So, please understand that there are other reasons why there are the formations of laws. They are always to accomplish something but rarely is it as clear as what you might expect.

Take for example in PA. Here, it is legal to go through yearly inspection of the vehicle with 5% tint. The vehicle will not fail because of tint. However, it is a violation of the motor vehicle code to have tint (you can get a ticket). This means that when you just get done passing your inspection and are driving home, you can be stopped for tint by an officer. Why is it allowed for inspection but not allowed on the roads? Because as much as tint impairs the jobs of officers, it also enables them a gateway to accomplish their job. They can now stop that car for a tint violation and have open season for the plethora of other violations that such "low-lifes" surely commit.

I to have 5% on my Jeep and the wife would have it darker if she could. I use to install tint on my front window which got rid of the glare driving home. I would put 70% on the front. I have gotten pulled over several times for minor stops and NEVER have I gotten anything for my tint. If you are smart just roll down the front two windows and if it at night turn on the interior lights and roll down the window before he gets to it. Most people break the tint law because of how nice it is to have dark windows when it is 100 degrees out and the sun beating into your car.

And for TUNEDIN302 do you every drive 76mph when the signs says 75 mph limit? Low life, I am sure you break the law just like everyone else!

the best way sround it is, goin to an eye doctor and getting a note of tint... i have a catorac sp? and i could do it to limo tint... but if you get a proper note you cant drive a car with out the tint.. so tint them all or take it off is what it comes down to... i hate tint so i never get it done... that would be the leagel way to get it done!