Polishing 10 holes?

ryan218

In just 10 years, I'll be old enough to drive!!!!
Dec 28, 2005
columbus ohio
think it would be worth my time to do it this week? i got all week off and NONTHING to do...thinking i may polish my wheels after seeing these on ebay?
if i remember correctly there is a guy on here with an 85 or 86 5.0 coupe that has polished 10 holes on it?

ae0d_1.jpg

aebe_1.jpg

af82_1.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Well, it can certainly be done, but let me warn you, it's a lot more work than just hitting them with the Mothers ball. I personally think they're badass but then i've always liked 10 holes.

Those also look like they've been widened.

Yeah there is a guy on here who used to have an 86 with polished 10 holes. I actually bought my ROH wheels from him. He had them professionally done and said they were kind of a pain to keep clean.

Yeah there is a guy on here who used to have an 86 with polished 10 holes. I actually bought my ROH wheels from him. He had them professionally done and said they were kind of a pain to keep clean.

thats true...i had a hard time keeping my Supercoupes wheels that i polished clean..what about if i just repainted them? something different..maybe a gun metal and a polished lip? idk give me some ideas people!

Yeah you're looking at raw aluminum so the probably would be a pain to keep clean. I always wanted to have a set widened, but widened from the outside too so they have about an inch of deep dish to them. I actually talked to a guy at Weldcraft about having them widened and it was going to cost something like $350 to get them all done...not bad if you really like those wheels. I always thought it would be awesome to have some really wide tires in the back but still look stock from a glance. There's also been some guys have them narrowed into skinnies as well (i have pics if anyone's intersted).

Yeah you're looking at raw aluminum so the probably would be a pain to keep clean. I always wanted to have a set widened, but widened from the outside too so they have about an inch of deep dish to them. I actually talked to a guy at Weldcraft about having them widened and it was going to cost something like $350 to get them all done...not bad if you really like those wheels. I always thought it would be awesome to have some really wide tires in the back but still look stock from a glance. There's also been some guys have them narrowed into skinnies as well (i have pics if anyone's intersted).

id like to see em..on ebay a while ago there was a set that was winded..10" rear and like 3 inch front...went for around 500...i kinda liked em..

thats true...i had a hard time keeping my Supercoupes wheels that i polished clean..what about if i just repainted them? something different..maybe a gun metal and a polished lip? idk give me some ideas people!

I used plain old Duplicolor Wheel Coating on mine (after i gave up on polishing them) and they turned out pretty awesome. I got tons of compliments. I think they would've look awesome like this with a polished outer lip, but these were too rough to do that with. I liked to run'em without center caps and with some nice lug nuts.

626821_5_full.jpg

626821_24_full.jpg

626821_42_full.jpg

626821_15_full.jpg

Here's another set polished:
attachment.php

Here's the skinnies:
attachment.php

Notice that both sets are still painted on the insides....i like that. Having them totally polished i think would be overkill. They'd look like cheap hub caps.

Yeah David :D

I wanted to use Duplicolor's gunmetal wheel coating but i was afraid of it being too dark without a polished lip. I can't stand dark wheels without the lip because the tire bleeds into the wheels. Then again, there's a guy on here who has a black GT (maybe an LX with a Saleen kit on it) who has black 10 holes...someone will chime in i'm sure, it gets posted in every 10 hole thread, but it looks pretty awesome.

A lot of guys do the black centers with polished lip and chrome center cap, sort of like the '93 Cobra R wheels look. They also used the black with chrome cap on SSPs.

Yeah David :D

I wanted to use Duplicolor's gunmetal wheel coating but i was afraid of it being too dark without a polished lip. I can't stand dark wheels without the lip because the tire bleeds into the wheels. Then again, there's a guy on here who has a black GT (maybe an LX with a Saleen kit on it) who has black 10 holes...someone will chime in i'm sure, it gets posted in every 10 hole thread, but it looks pretty awesome.

A lot of guys do the black centers with polished lip and chrome center cap, sort of like the '93 Cobra R wheels look. They also used the black with chrome cap on SSPs.

even just leaving a silver lip would be enough though.

Aww thats cute, calling each other by name.:nice:

last week i was going to touch up some chrome bubbles on my G-Marquis, Turns out the chrome i got from duplicolor was like a white chrome. so i started touching up crap on my wheels instead. It looked really good, so i just rubbed in all over the wheel.:hail2:
they look like new!!, to bad its car touch up paint and will look like crap in the coming months and i gotta still find a way to fit my body chrome.:bang:

Check pics in my garage for the painted-black-with-polished-lip-outside look. Frankie's got 'em on her '86 'vert right now, but with the addition of the aluminum center caps popped on 'em. Looks right at home on a white Fox. :nice:

Aww thats cute, calling each other by name.:nice:

last week i was going to touch up some chrome bubbles on my G-Marquis, Turns out the chrome i got from duplicolor was like a white chrome. so i started touching up crap on my wheels instead. It looked really good, so i just rubbed in all over the wheel.:hail2:
they look like new!!, to bad its car touch up paint and will look like crap in the coming months and i gotta still find a way to fit my body chrome.:bang:

Jealous? He only lives 2 hours from me...

Anyways, if you plan on doing anything Ryan, paint or polish, keep in mind that they have a factory clear coat on them. A lot of times just stripping that coating off will make the wheels look like new again unless they're so bad that the wear and grime has gone through the clear coat. My buddy had a set that looked like total crap and we used some really strong marine paint strip on them and they really do look like brand new wheels. We weren't sure about the center caps though so we left them alone. If your wheels don't have any curb rash i'd say give that a try first. If nothing else, it's a good idea to do that before you paint anyways.

Jealous? He only lives 2 hours from me...

Anyways, if you plan on doing anything Ryan, paint or polish, keep in mind that they have a factory clear coat on them. A lot of times just stripping that coating off will make the wheels look like new again unless they're so bad that the wear and grime has gone through the clear coat. My buddy had a set that looked like total crap and we used some really strong marine paint strip on them and they really do look like brand new wheels. We weren't sure about the center caps though so we left them alone. If your wheels don't have any curb rash i'd say give that a try first. If nothing else, it's a good idea to do that before you paint anyways.

no cyrn rash or anything like that on these wheels...there in good shape..exepct for the clear coat your talking about...let me see if i got a few pics.

all of them pretty much look like this...

885-39.jpg

Go to Lowes and look through their paint strip section...i don't recall the name of the stuff i used but it was the more expensive stuff...you basically just want a really strong paint stripper. Get the stuff in a metal can, looks kinda like a charcoal lighter fluid can. You'll need a cheap paint brush also to apply it, and lay it on THICK and then it's just a matter of waiting for it to do its thing. Then you wash it off. I also used a good stiff scrub brush to get it off (not a metal one as that'll scratch up the wheels). It takes a bit of work but it WILL pay off.