Drivetrain Poly engine and trans mounts?

• Sponsors (?)

JHFC

If you are worried about NVH then stick to stock stuff.
EVERYTHING is a compromise.
Like asking if a certain muffler is to loud. Really? By what definition?
You want more power, well guess what, there is usually a little bit of a downside to that. Sometimes a big downside.
You want a better handling car? Well, the ride quality is probably not going to be as nice as stock.
On and on and on.
Here is the thing, your definition of NVH, and what is acceptable is probably different than my definition. Same goes to ride quality, exhaust sound, what is acceptable for "streetable" power ect ect.
My guess is that my opinion is of no use to you, which is fine. What I am willing to live with in a street car is probably beyond your acceptance level.
What I, or anyone else can convey to you, is tainted by personal preference. What you find acceptable, maybe someone else thinks is to harsh, or to soft.
So asking for opinions on Poly mounts is fraught with too many variables. What works on my car may not work on your car. Why? Because materials change, manufacturing processes change, the way my car is built is probably different than your car. Someone who does not know how to install components properly can completely mess up how that component works. More issues are caused by poor workmanship (installation) than poor quality components.
So, short answer is this. Poly mounts have more NVH than stock mounts but less than solid mounts.

Like everything else car related...It Depends.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Is it safe to run a rubber trans mount with the poly motor mounts so that I can reduce some of the NVH?

Yes, that’s how I run my setup. Energy suspension poly engine mounts and rubber NOS trans mount.

TBH, if i can find a set of NOS convertible mounts, I fully intend to remove the Energy Suspension poly motor mounts.

The vibration isn’t bad( but it is noticeable), but since my car is a cruiser I wouldn’t mind knocking it down a bit

I have Prothane engine and trans mounts. Sure there is some noise, but I don't know if it is drivetrain vibration or exhaust noise or added noise due to rear end gear change.

During my resto I installed new stock motor mounts on my 67 Dodge... Was doing something to it with the hood up and slightly power braked the car in reverse while watching the motor move upwards about 5-6 inches....
Replaced the motor mounts with " Schumacher" poly mounts ( I think) and the amount of vibration increase was quite noticeable.... The 040 bored 440 in the car had been balanced too..... Must of become the norm as it was not noticeable to me later on.....
The " made in India" NAPA motor mounts were not broken... Great rubber bands must come from that country.....
DSCF0076.JPG

Reactions: 1 user