pondering selling this fall

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
I'm thinking $5000, or maybe bidding would take it higher. The basic stats in my sig for the 93 Vert are this car.

IMG_4519.png

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I think $5K is low. A similar car local to me was listed for $7K pre-covid and was scooped up pretty quickly.

I'd probably try $7-9K and see what happens.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
A local guy is coming to look at the vert on Saturday. I told him I was about to list it eBay but 7k would keep it off the auction block. He's interested

A local guy is coming to look at the vert on Saturday. I told him I was about to list it eBay but 7k would keep it off the auction block. He's interested
How did it go on Saturday? $7K seems cheap to me, based on prices in my area. Any fox body priced at $7K in my area has had the snot beat out of it, has cosmetic issues, isn't running, or all of the above.

He offered 6k citing that the car needs a new top. We havnt decided yet. It does need a new top and associated weatherstripping.

Some other negatives are as follows.

Theres a fairly substantial dent in the trunk lid from a ladder falling on it in the garage. The AC compressor and lines are removed from the engine compartment by previous owner. Power door locks need new actuators. The cruise control does not work. Air bag sensor is missing from the front end and the air bag light does not illuminate as it should on startup. The check engine light does not illuminate on startup and i believe the bulb had been removed by a previous owner.
If I wind up listing the car on eBay I would be describing these deficiencies.

The original white faux leather interior and door panel parts were stained and ugly so we dyed them in shades of grey and it turned out good but nonetheless that might turn off some people.

The car is daily driver worthy and reliable. It runs and drives great in all aspects. Most of the effort I put in to the car was in this regard. I wasnt hell bent about every little cosmetic defect. I was very intent on turn key, gas and go reliability. And that the car is for sure.

So what do you think? Are people readily giving crazy money for cars like this? Ill post a few more pics too

Last edited:
Original color but repainted. Id say 7 out of 10 on the paint quality not including the nicks and dings. Yes, Weld Prostar, not knock offs. 15x8 rear, 15x7 front. 5 lug yes but no brake upgrades. Stock 93 LX brakes. Car was originally 5Spd but converted to AOD by previous owner

You see, I‘m close to accepting 6k from the local buyer to avoid the hassle of listing and selling on eBay. The Mrs was willing to accept $6500 and is wanting to hold out and list on eBay.

Its a reliable car, that is for sure. But how many serious Foxbody buyers are out for AOD equipped convertibles?

Unfortunately not many. Lots of folks have a taboo against AODs and convertibles so your buyer pool is much less than if it was something like a 5-spd notch.
I would whole-heartedly agree with that assessment ten years ago, however, I think foxes are getting rare enough that even something as "undesirable" as an AOD convertible would still fetch good money.

As far as the issues listed above, I don't think any of them would seriously detract from a good purchase price. I wouldn't sell it for $6000.

If it really needs a new top, it may be worth it to invest in a new one to avoid having to drop the asking price. From what I've been seeing recently, I would start north of $10k for an asking price. Unless you really want to sell it quick.

Here’s an example. I know there’s time left on this but shouldn’t it be bumping higher or at least have more than one bid?

And I think general inflation of everything else makes people more reluctant to buy toys like this. This is a recent change which might be reducing the number of buyers overall. In turn, the sweet spot on these cars may have peaked and could pull back.

I would whole-heartedly agree with that assessment ten years ago, however, I think foxes are getting rare enough that even something as "undesirable" as an AOD convertible would still fetch good money.

I dunno. While it's true that a rising tide raises all boats, at some point the market is going to cool. I think one of the key indicators of that is seeing these "less desirable" models start to fall off in terms of the price and speed at which they sell. With less competition, the ability to pick up those "desirable" cars becomes greater.

And I do not mean to imply John's car isn't nice. It's a fine example of a convertible. I'm just referring to the desirability of certain body styles and transmission type and rare/unique models.

8% inflation and potentially more is going to put a damper on the everyday persons ability to buy a "toy" in the upcoming year or two. I do think the Fox market may have hit a peak and may even be overbought.

Reactions: 1 user
So how much would it cost to put a new top on, including weather strips and adjustments of the power window stops. Good quality parts installed by a competent professional? What’s the total bill on that?