Pontiac G6, good or bad...I want to hear

Flavadave4

Nov 28, 2003
Utica, NY
My wife has a Grand AM and its time for something new, she like the look of the G6. I found a 07 G6 GT 4 door, v6, auto with sport shift, moonroof, loaded and she wants to get it. Anybody have any thoughts good or bad?

I drove it and have to say, for a daily driver it is pretty nice and would pretty fun to drive atleast based on the few miles i drove it today.

Chime in...

• Sponsors (?)

My wife has an 06 G6 GT and we really like it. Its fully loaded. The panaramic moonroof is a sweet option. For the money they seem like good cars. They have as much HP as a stock foxbody too! We planned to get the GTP version but at the time nobody had them. I say buy it, you will like it.

I agree, the panaramic roof is sweet...if I were buying a brand new one I'd definatly put it on the order. When buying left over, or year old you are kinda at the mercy of whats out there.

i Have one. They discontinued the panoramic moon roof option. Good car kinda peppy. The gtp version is ugly as sin. Just get the base with the 3.5 v-6 and not the 4 cyl.

You all know I work at a salvage yard. We don't get calls for many parts. We used to get calls for the lower control arms all the time when they first came out, because the ball joint went bad early on, and it was not serviceable. We don't get calls for them anymore, they must have fixed that problem.

IMO, get one. They are good looking, have pep, and are dependable.

They suck.

My friend has an '06 G6 GTP and its always been going in for service for the stupidest things.

The MAJOR problem with it is the brakes. This car has 12,000 miles and needed a brake job. There were ridges and bumps all over the rotors and the pedal pulsed during braking since 9,000 miles. This is on all 4 rotors.

We took it to the dealer and they claimed normal wear and tear. I played a gamble and walked up to another G6 in for service and found it's rotors were just as bad. I asked what the milage was and it was 11K miles!! I told the owner and he added it to the list of other crap it was in for service for.

After argueing, best they would do is cut the rotors. All it did was take down the high spots. You can still see the ridges. I look at every G6 i see now and a good deal have the same brake issue and a lot of owners on the G6 boards complain of doing brake jobs every 15K miles.

Needless to say...she's looking to unload the car.

i worked at the dealership i bought my car from and they all have front end/ brake problems. after about 15k youl get a clunk when you stop. I bought mine for the warrenty. in 3 years ill get another new car in the ford family.

We have never had brake problems and ours has had 20s on it since about a month after we got it. I did change the pads at 24000 miles but they were still in great shape. Just put better ones on it to reduce the brake dust.

i worked at the dealership i bought my car from and they all have front end/ brake problems. after about 15k youl get a clunk when you stop. I bought mine for the warrenty. in 3 years ill get another new car in the ford family.

Yes, her GTP has the same clunk in the front end!

I hate the car. It's a sharp looking car though, but it's crap. If it's not the brakes, the vanity mirrors break. If it's not that, the seat heater craps the bed. 13,000 or so miles and it's been to the dealer at least 4 times. I've been on G6 boards and they all complain about the same stuff.

I wish i took pics of the brakes. You guys would think this car had 60K miles on it. It had 11K!! She doesn't even drive fast.

Yes, her GTP has the same clunk in the front end!

I hate the car. It's a sharp looking car though, but it's crap. If it's not the brakes, the vanity mirrors break. If it's not that, the seat heater craps the bed. 13,000 or so miles and it's been to the dealer at least 4 times. I've been on G6 boards and they all complain about the same stuff.

I wish i took pics of the brakes. You guys would think this car had 60K miles on it. It had 11K!! She doesn't even drive fast.

My wife drives it mostly she drives like **** and my brakes are pretty good. Pontiacs all have the same problems but alot of the things the dealership will fix for free. There is a bulletin on the vanity mirrors and they replace them for free.