Pontiac Solstice

jikelly

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
Lubbock Tx
So, Pontiac finally built another head turning sports car, and it’s comparably cheap at a base price around 20,000. I am going to go try and test drive one today and see what they are like. If you go to http://www.pontiac.com/solstice/index.jsp you can check the car out. I guess it’s not that much different than the Mazda Miata, which starts at 21,000, but I think the Solstice looks far better.

I’m going to get me a new car when I get me a "real" job, probably next January (don’t worry I’m not going to sell the stang). Now if they build that Charger I saw the prototype for I might have to change my mind on some things, but as it stands now, the new car I’m going to get me is a C5 Vette. The only problem I would have in justifying the purchase of the Solstice is the performance of its 177HP DOHC I-4.

The mags report that the Solstice has a 0-60 time of 7.3 sec, and gets 20/28 city/hwy gas mileage. I’d probably buy a 2000 hardtop Vette and it looks like their prices are around 23,000 right now. The engine in the C5 Vette has 350HP and is rated at 18/27 city/hwy on gas mileage. Pretty damn good if you ask me, but of course real driving, for me, would probably see more like 13/25 city/hwy because of my lead foot.

And then there is purpose. I want a car my fiancée and I can run at the track. I figure that my 73 will be replaced as my daily driver (it’s so fun to drive though) since my stang gets like 12/18 city/hwy mileage (I could probably do some things about that since I tuned it for max power).

Anyway I was wondering what you guys thought.:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

The Solstice is a beauty, and nice handler, and the manual-only is a positive, but the $5k premium over MSRP currently being charged boosts the price to $30K. Also, no trunk space, so couldn't travel like we now do with the Z3. Since the handling isn't quite up to the Z3 either, no way I'd trade at this time.

Also the mileage is no better than my Firebird Formula 5.7 L 6-speed. What's with that?

Well I didn't get to drive the Solstice. They didn't have one at the dealer. They might be getting one next week so I'll try again next thursday or friday.

65Conv50 you make some good points about the car. I don't get the gas mileage thing either, but maybe they did some pretty crazy stuff to that I4 engine to get those 177 HP.

they had a few at SEMA and they looked very good with wheels,body kits,blowers,vette powered, the Saturn Sky is the same thing with a few sharper lines.

The Jeep SRT8 is nice,but not at the $50k dealer saking price.For that money I would get the Chevy SS Trailblazer,405HP vette engine and sticker of $34K and avail in all wheel drive.

Okay, so I finally got to drive a solstice. I really liked the car. It would be perfect for me except I think it really needs more horsepower. I mean it handles great, and I was very impresed with its road manners, but it is slow off the line. Its only got like 170 horspower though so I guess you can't expect too much.

The car fit me really well. As good as my 73, which was the only car that I was really comfortable driving up till the solstice. I honestly like the Solstice's cabin better than the Vette's. It felt like I had more room in the Solstice. The cup holders in the Solstice look pretty worthless. A set flips out of the center console, and another is comes out nearly behind the driver higher up inbetween the two seats.

Now while I really like the Solstice I don't think it is meant to be a very parctical car since it's only got like three feet of cargo space. If me and my fiance were to go on an extended trip somewhere we'd have to let the solstice be our suitcase because there is no way our suitcases would fit in the trunk.

I give it a thumbs up. And I'm really thinking about buying one. The story about the 350 swap makes me even more comfortable with buying the car since I know that others have modified it. Considering all the things I've done to the stang I shouldn't be scared to approch any car with a wrench though.

I'm hoping to get the fiance to drive one today. I want to know what she thinks of course.

I like the look of the Saturn Better, period. We have a nice up and coming Saturn Dealership in Milford, so I got lucky and saw a Sky driving around (for a test drive I guess).

Yeah the Sky's interior is a little fancier, but I like the Solstice's looks far better. I'll allways take curves over flat and smooth. It's like the 94-98 mustangs versus the edgy ricer styled 99-04s.

My husband really likes those too. Imo, they're ok, but ehhh. It would never make it as a dd for us and we already have enough toys so I'd be more inclined to go Turbo Baja or WRX even though they are hard tops-power, cornering + ground clearance (he forgets about those things called curbs)...Is the sky based on the solstice? prolly could swap interior parts if you wanted if it is....