Pony Wants To Die While Driving...wtf?

whitepony331

Sep 4, 2012
My 2001 V6 is acting really funny. After driving, once I put the car in park, the rpm shoots up between 1000-2000. While driving, the car wants to die all of a sudden, and I would have to put the car in neutral so I can step on the pedal to open up the throttle so I may be able to gain some power. But also, when I don't have to do that, I can just put the car in neutral and my rpms would shoot up to 1500 back up again. I'm really confused.

The only time my CEL illuminated is when I have to step on the pedal to open up the throttle whenever the car wants to die on the street. It has illuminated twice now.

Here are the DTCs:
P0122-Throttle Position Low Circuit
P0113-Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input
P0190-Fuel Rail Pressure Censor Circuit Malfunction

A while back, the TPS was replaced and re-calibrated because I thought it was the cause of this high idling after performing some tests on the sensor. So why am I getting this DTC again?

In some cases where the rpm will be at about 1500 after I have parked, I'll disconnect the MAF/IAT and the rpm would drop to normal (<1000). I've also cleaned the MAF with CRCs MAF cleaner. Could it be the MAF/IAT?

Just last night, I went to the gas station and saw a trail of what I think was fuel on the ground. I went to smell it, but it was like a mixture of both oil/fuel.

The car has 177k miles, it's an automatic. Just recently, I replaced that little plastic bushing in the back of the engine which holds the rods for the intake runners. Going through all of that, I went ahead and replaced the upper intake plenum gasket (torqued in sequenced) and the valve cover gaskets. This thing has a new battery and a new fuel filter.

Thank you guys for all your help.

• Sponsors (?)

on my 96 3.8 unplugging the maf makes the engine want to die out and acts like a bad miss like a few pistons wont fire. the iat/ect has no effect when unplugged. i would think it is idle air control related problem but i cant be sure. usually high/sparatic idle is tps or iac related.
GL

Right? When unplugging the MAF, it'll kill the engine. I've cleaned out the IAC, but I think it's defected...Isn't there a test procedure to test the IAC?

Yeah, I totally agree with the high idling coming from a bad TPS, but that was replaced a few months ago. I'm really beginning to think it's a bad IAC. I'm just not so sure though.

thanks for your reply

i would'nt doubt your code for tps is caused by a different problem. i dont think you can bench test a iac valve but you can test the tps when on the car. look for dead spots on the volt reader or volt drop when you move the throttle. should be very steady up and down from .8 to 5 volt roughly

I remember performing a TPS test, that determined me having to buy a replacement. I wanna try two things out, and it's replacing the IAC Valve and the MAF sensor. But before I wanted to go ahead and proceed, I wanted to ask around mustang forums and see what anybody would say.

When you have replaced all of the sensors mentioned with no change symptom what will you do (other than be poorer)? IMO you should be looking for an electrical cause that is COMMON to TPS, IAT, and FRPS. Say for example a shorted IAT sensor.

I'll check that, thanks. I think what's left for me to do is trace all the proper values each sensor should be to and from the PCM. Hopefully, I'll find it then. It's funny, I thought anybody else could have the same experience.