Poor gas milage

MSM0075

May 13, 2003
Central Jersey
man, im hit with the bad gas milage cars..the '88 5spd im drivin around now gets like 13-14 MPG... i dont beat on it either...Are their any tips on getting better gas milage w/o rigging anything? perhaps getting some new parts here and there? what do you guys recommomend?

• Sponsors (?)

JohnnyC said:
My '90 also gets terrible mileage. It got better after I replaced the oxygen sensor and did a tune up, but Im still only getting 240 miles to a tank. That seems a little low to me.
That sure is better than mine. I think Im gonna try that Z Max things, cause I alread did a tune up and replaced the O2 sensor.

my '93 would get max 230, although i never pushed it to there. this '88 hasn't gone throught a complete tank of gas but the way it looks now, its real poor...if you guys did tuneups and everything, and still geting poor gas milage, than wtf is going on?? some people push 24MPG!

you may wont to check for a bad fuel press. regulator. temp dosn't affect my milage. temp gauge rarely come off the 130 mark unless stopped in traffic. i put 3.27 gears in for all my hiway driving get 410 to 430 miles to tank at 70 to 80mph.

Yes, and no. On the premium fuel. If your single plug is pulling timing from the knock sensor, then premium will help. On the dual plug,the partial throttle seems to "reteach" itself over a few hundred miles on premium and the economy goes up some. And the other part of my observation-no, premium is a poor excuse for not hunting down your problem. Think of it as a learning experience. :flag:

Dan'l said:
Yes, and no. On the premium fuel. If your single plug is pulling timing from the knock sensor, then premium will help. On the dual plug,the partial throttle seems to "reteach" itself over a few hundred miles on premium and the economy goes up some. And the other part of my observation-no, premium is a poor excuse for not hunting down your problem. Think of it as a learning experience. :flag:
That sounds about right, I had some sort of engine mismanagment and I'm pretty sure the computer was pulling timing (the engine had a very erratic compsure). It was worth the extra 20 centa a gallon, Tworards the end I was adding octane booster (the good kind, not touline or whatever) and it helped even more.