Popping noises 89 automatic LX

EZ123

Apr 15, 2019
Bakersfield , California
So when I finaly think all is well :poo: hits the fan, Ive been having loud popping noises coming from the driver side engine bay every time I start it up after sitting a while sounds like back firing but from the front I cant figure out what it is and also a sound similar to a card clipped to a bicycle wheel every time am driving and step on the the throttle, and last but not least when coming to a stop my aod transmission revs slightly aggressively before the last gear. Am scared I might have to put My Little Pony down☠, any input would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors(?)

TOOLOW91

If you're the village idiot what's that make me?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
S.I.NY
So when I finaly think all is well :poo: hits the fan, Ive been having loud popping noises coming from the driver side engine bay every time I start it up after sitting a while sounds like back firing but from the front I cant figure out what it is and also a sound similar to a card clipped to a bicycle wheel every time am driving and step on the the throttle, and last but not least when coming to a stop my aod transmission revs slightly aggressively before the last gear. Am scared I might have to put My Little Pony down☠, any input would be greatly appreciated.
Burned plug wires arcing ? Blown header gasket ?

TOOLOW91

If you're the village idiot what's that make me?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
S.I.NY
Just tuned it up with pricey plugs ran great for a few days
Well being the last thing you touched time to go back over everything sounds like a wire arcing or something

Reactions: 1 user

EZ123

Apr 15, 2019
Bakersfield , California
mechanical popping noises? Like bad engine mount or fan hitting the shroud?

Well to be honest what it sounds like to is like a back firing car but if it came out of the headers instead of the tail end is the best way I can explain it, I thought it was a leaky injector dropping fuel in while off but am a noob and wouldnt know what that soundwd like if it was it lol

John Dirks Jr

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
Could have a bad spark plug even though they were just replaced. And if there is carbon deposits in the dist cap, a bad plug with high resistance will cause cross fire in the dist cap. This makes another cylinder fire out of order and cause a backfire or popping.

Mustang5L5

i'm familiar with penetration
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Run the codes and perform the cylinder balance test procedure at the end of the code dump

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida

• Friendly
Reactions: 1 users

EZ123

Apr 15, 2019
Bakersfield , California