popping out of gear?!?!?!

admstng

Dec 12, 2003
my stick is popping out of 1st and 3rd? what casues this and what is involved in fixing it? how much would it cost for a mechanic to fix it? is it possible that i do not have it fully in gear? thanks for any input.

• Sponsors (?)

Mine did that and it was the snychos (spell?) in it going bad. First gear was horrible, it got to the point where it would slam out. Dunno what it would cost to fix, I went ahead and bought a new trans. Yea if you have a aftermarket shifter check and see if the adjusters are adjusted right.

ah.. i do have a hurst shifter. and it seems like it doesn't always go into gear. The tranny is rebuilt. I guess i should have someone look at it. thanks for you input.

anyone here ever get the syncros fixed? know how much it costs to fix? thanks

U may just have to adjust the shift stop bolts on the shifter. Just get the top of the sifter accesable and ull see a 1/2 inch bolt on the front and back of the shifter, these "stoppage bolts" regulate how far the shifter will engage each gear. Its not hard to figure out, crack them loose thread them in some more, away from the shifter. good luck

mine has popped out of 2nd a bunch of times over the last few years. Usually happed when it was hot out and the engine was fully warmed up. sucks when it happens real sudden while trying to accelerate.
Don't over adjust those bolts because you could cause dammage to the shift forks when slamming gears.

I had a Hurst in my 91 and it did the kinda the same thing you are talking about. You would be driving down the road and if you let off the gas it would just slip out of gear. Only did it when it was cold weather. Finally figured it out. The install instructions had me reuse the original rubber boot around the hole where the shifter enters the car. What was happening is when it was cold out the rubber was really stiff and until it warmed up it would pop it out of gear. put two small slits in it and never had that prob again.

Mine used to pop out of first and reverse. I know about the big "BANG". Once I got rid of the plastic quad and put in the FWA and steeda cable and quad, no more probs. My clutch pedal was engaging the clutch too close to the floor. Its still a bit notchy sometimes going into first or reverse, but I can tell if it didnt go all the way in. I hold a little pressure against the shifter and let the clutch out slow and it will pop right in. I guess what I am trying to say is make sure its not the clutch cable being too loose.