POR 15

SVT32VDOHC

waiting for the next hack atta
Founding Member
Nov 22, 2001
Motor City
Anybody used it?

I picked up another notchback this weekend and I have it stripped to the bone. Tonight I will paint the under carraige of this car with the POR 15. The floors are solid, car is an 81 and sat since 91, so it has surface rust. All the bolts came out, nothing broke...but I still have to take out the rear end, and that thing looks nasty. I will let you know how it turns out later tonight or tomorrow!!

• Sponsors (?)

my cousin works for por15...i got some of the stuff when i was doing the paint on my car because i had some rust in the rear quarters...the stuff really works well...its been almost 2 years now and no signs of rust at all...i would definately reccomend it

jim

I got a can of the stuff, and painted my rear axle, trouble spots on the undercarriage, and both floor pans on the inside of the car. I LOVE that it is self leveling.

The only thing i dont like is you have to scuff anything youre painting up if youre doing preventative maintenance. It just doesnt like to stick to very smooth surfaces.

Great stuff, very popular over on the Classic forums. I've used it myself many times. Get the Metal Ready and Marine Clean too, works great and you'll get better results if you prep with their products.

Your replies are just what I expected and just what I think. I sprayed it last night, and WOW. It is super high gloss, and already super strong!!! I tried to pick it off, and NO YOU ARE NOT DOING IT!!!!

The WARNINGS are correct!! POR 15 does not come off skin...only time will remove it. I have a few spots on my thumbs and around a couple finger nails...thinner, gas, Lava soap, scrubbing....hot shower....nothing will take it off..just time!! And I couldn't see after...everything was blurry. I paint all the time, nothing has ever happened to me like this. I put goggles on half way through, but I still had blurry vision, but no pain. I took out my contact lenses, and boom, perfect vision. My contacts had the black dots on them!! This sticks to everything!!!! Highly recommended, just wear more protective gear than I did.

I will get pics up tonight at home, if anybody cares.

Definately man! I put a few coats on my differential because i thought it went on too thin, but after it dried, i knew better.. my differential should be bulletproof now... literally lol

Definately man! I put a few coats on my differential because i thought it went on too thin, but after it dried, i knew better.. my differential should be bulletproof now... literally lol

Yes, absolutely, I had a couple drips, not that I care because it is the underside.....I tried to pick at them....yeah right!!!! Haha....:lol:

Getting some POR-15 as well, can you get some semi-gloss? I want to protect the floor pans on the inside... Found some rust and I want to stop it from spreading until I bring the car to the body shop.

Getting some POR-15 as well, can you get some semi-gloss? I want to protect the floor pans on the inside... Found some rust and I want to stop it from spreading until I bring the car to the body shop.

Yes, Gloss black, Semi Gloss black, grey, and clear. Do not get on plastic....make sure you cover yourself and everything around it very very very well!!!!:D

I forgot that i had taken some pics as well.. this is my gas tank before:

tank2.jpg

tank.jpg

and after

tank3.jpg

And i dont havre any "before" shots of my floor pans, but this is how they turned out. (dont mind thhe green thing, i was showing someone something)

Floorpan1.jpg

Red X shouldnt be there, i copied them right out of photobucket. :shrug:

I just bought some cheap brushes at the dollar store since youll never use them again, but i did find that for working under the car, those foam brushes work better to prevent splattering the stuff all over the place. It is thin when it goes on, and i put a few coats on everything before i knew how much it thickened up upon curing. but it wont hurt anything except when i go to take my differential cover off eventually.

thanks for the tips guys... I may start on this, this weekend.

Make sure you read the directions. try to keep it out of direct sunlight when youre curing it (that weakens it), make sure you mix it up well, and as SVT32VDOHC said, wear goggles, gloves, and long sleeves unless you want spots all over you.

and MAKE SURE when you go to close the lid, that you wipe out every bit that gets in the groove where the lid seals, or you will (i know this from experience) have one HELL of a time getting the lid off the next time.