Port my performer heads or get AFRs?

N8Miller

I need NOS....make it 2 of the big ones
Founding Member
Jul 26, 2000
Kingston, PA, USA
well, with tax season right around the corner, i have this debate on my hands. i would either like to get my performer heads ported heavily or get a set of AFRs. i love the heads, but i think that they can flow a bit more for my 331 motor. i have the RPM intake, which i would get port matched.
what size gasket do you think would be good for my porting project?
all opinions welcome.
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

A good port job will run around $800.00+...that's how much the work cost on my heads...but they flow, however, ported the edelbrock heads may flow more than AFR's...if you sell them expect to get less what you paid for them...unless you get lucky...use the website in my sig for Dave Jack's cylinder heads...he's a guru when it comes to FORD heads...call him and find out what he recommends and how much it would be...unless you know of other porters out there that know what they are doing.

Out of the box AFR's will flow better then out of the box Edelbrocks. But, getting a good port job on the Edelbrock’s will yield better flow ratings then the out of the box AFR’s. Potentially making more HP.

everyone dogs edelbrocks but the truth of the matter they are a very high quality head (support bigger cams and don't require new springs like other heads), and when ported they can flow just as good as anyother head out there too. I say port the edelbrocks drop 400-600 beans and they'll be great.

bmo37 said:
everyone dogs edelbrocks but the truth of the matter they are a very high quality head (support bigger cams and don't require new springs like other heads), and when ported they can flow just as good as anyother head out there too. I say port the edelbrocks drop 400-600 beans and they'll be great.

what does your car run with the edelbrocks? are they the performers like i got?
did you get any dyno readings? my setup is close to yours except for the 331 instead of the 347.
thanks

any more opinions?

N8Miller said:
what does your car run with the edelbrocks? are they the performers like i got?
did you get any dyno readings? my setup is close to yours except for the 331 instead of the 347.
thanks

any more opinions?

I originaly bought them (60379 newer versions 1.90/1.60) for a heads and cam swap on a my 302 but I decided to stroke it out also, I wish I could give you some numbers but haven't had the car to the track yet or dyno for that matter, even if I had a dyno sheet for you my car would vary from yours right now cause I have a low compression setup for my procharger I'm going to install soon. If I had to guess I'd say the engine by itself makes around 350-360rwhp and about 420rwtq all engine. I have light porting on the intake and exhaust ports and polished cc's, intake manifold is also matched.

I love AFR heads but in your case I wold port what you have! Of course you need to find someone that knows what you want and knows how to do it!! In porting for the street/strip often times less means more!! Of course if all you want is top end just open up those ports!!!

How much would a good port job cost? i really just want the runners opened and a valve job. how much do you think that would run on average?
also, what else would i need to note before i take the heads to get ported, like what to have done and spots to take good note of, like flaws and what not.
thanks

N8Miller said:
How much would a good port job cost? i really just want the runners opened and a valve job. how much do you think that would run on average?
also, what else would i need to note before i take the heads to get ported, like what to have done and spots to take good note of, like flaws and what not.
thanks

Who ever does your heads for you make sure thay have a flow bench so you can see your progress as they open up your ports and a good 5 angle"competition" valve job is in order here.