Posi Rebuild 8.8

I will need to rebuild my 8.8 after a season on the track. Bought it used and didn't have the time to rebuild it when I was trying to get it ready for testing. I did one about 5 years ago and had a copy from I think Car Craft on how to make a stock rebuild a little better. Something about replaceing one of the clutchs with one used one to put more pressure on the rest of the clutch pack. Has any one done this or remembers how it was done.

• Sponsors (?)

With all the mustang people on here and not one has rebuilt a 8.8. What do you people do when something goes wrong. Looks like no one has kicked the rods out of the pan, twisted a axel off. You should see what happens when to twist a drive shaft like a pretzel. Was hoping some one had rebuild one and knew the little trick.

You add a add him and change the order of the clutch disc stack....also use a truck z spring. Using the truck spring with the extra spacer is tough. A vice and a hose clamp may help. If that thing pops loose protect ya teefs....at least duck.

Ive done a bunch of them but can't remember the stack order of hand. Should be some info on the interweb.

Reactions: 1 user
With all the mustang people on here and not one has rebuilt a 8.8. What do you people do when something goes wrong. Looks like no one has kicked the rods out of the pan, twisted a axel off. You should see what happens when to twist a drive shaft like a pretzel. Was hoping some one had rebuild one and knew the little trick.

There are plenty of people here that have rebuilt an 8.8. Plenty of people who have twisted an axle, plenty of people that have destroyed parts.
Destroyed parts doesn't mean big power...in a lot of cases it means hack.
Stock rods leave the engine because they weren't intended for the abuse, stock axles snap because they weren't intended for the abuse. Stock driveshafts twist because they weren't intended for the abuse.
Do yourself a favor and buy better stuff.

But none of that has got sht to do with the responses to your question or lack thereof. The fact of the matter is that one member did a Google search, and linked two YouTube videos to answer your questions. If you can rebuild an 8.8, surely you have the technical wherewithal to be able to do the same, and Google the question.

When you do, and to be sure you get a ford result instead of a General Motors answer...use the terminology that describes the part. I.e. Not a "posi"
" How to rebuild a traction loc differential in a ford 8.8"

Last edited:
Thanks John for the reply on the stock rebuild. I was more intrested in the reply from 90sickfox on the clutch disk stack and the extra shim. I know I did it on the last one but that was 5 or 6 years ago. CMA I did not use the GM or the Mopars or Fords name for their limited Slip Differential. I like to use the simple version to cover the Limited Slip Differentials of all makes. I could have used the term Safty-Trac, Sure-Grip, Positraction or Traction loc. My short version is POSI.