possessed ABS

mijo_latino

Apr 16, 2004
Canton, Michigan
I finally fixed my bro's 01' rear axle. He bent one of the splines hitting the curb in Jan. and just left it sitting in the driveway. 4 months later i taken upon myself to fix it.

The mechanical part is fixed, but the ABS is messing up. The light isn't on, but was when he wrecked it. The brakes work fine, they stop the car for the most part.
The problem is just as the car is about to stop, like from 3mph to 0, the ABS kicks in and you feel the brake pedal do its thing. This happens every time you come to a stop.
Has anyone had similar probs? I really don't want to take it in to the dealer and get bent over.

• Sponsors (?)

mijo_latino said:
I finally fixed my bro's 01' rear axle. He bent one of the splines hitting the curb in Jan. and just left it sitting in the driveway. 4 months later i taken upon myself to fix it.

The mechanical part is fixed, but the ABS is messing up. The light isn't on, but was when he wrecked it. The brakes work fine, they stop the car for the most part.
The problem is just as the car is about to stop, like from 3mph to 0, the ABS kicks in and you feel the brake pedal do its thing. This happens every time you come to a stop.
Has anyone had similar probs? I really don't want to take it in to the dealer and get bent over.

this is a abs false.. what you need is a scan tool too be sure what sensor is falsing on you. without a scan tool that will give you live data ( not codes) live data needed.

well anyways without a scan tool i would take a real god look at the sensoir for the wheel that hit the curb.

Ahh, ok. Like software that u put on a laptop and plug in? Things aren't looking so hot. Dealer may just get its hands on it.

The tone ring was ground down by the rotor that snapped donut style. Luckly the new spline came with a new one pressed on already.

I didn't see other damage, may be overlooking some things. The thing that gets me is that if the sensor is bad why doesn't the ABS light come on?

mijo_latino said:
I didn't see other damage, may be overlooking some things. The thing that gets me is that if the sensor is bad why doesn't the ABS light come on?

well.. to try and make a long story short. the diagnostic software built intot he abs module does the best it can. the computer has no way of knowing that somthing is wrong when 1 wheel speed sensor reads zero mph while others read the car is moving. because that is the exact thing that happens when you lock a brake up . so it's impossible too make software too tell if the abs is falsing or there is real lock up.

a lot of people don't get this. for a lot of problems codes are usless. i see this a lot with customers, they think we plug a computer in and it tells us whats wrong. well when they invent that computer i will be the first in line :lol: