Possible ball joint problems

Mrk94GT

Founding Member
Jun 21, 2002
Illinois
Recently, my front end has been making weird sounds, almost like something is flexing. My car has about 87k on the odometer, and I know this is the time that some suspension components need replacing. I had my tie rod ends replaced about 1k miles ago, and that fixed another problem that my car had. My car makes these weird sounds when I go slow over bumps or turn the car in tight spots, like when I park somewhere.. My dad was saying this could be a ball joint problem. My question is have any of you guys had this problem with ur cars, and what sound did it make? And at what mileage did u have ball joints replaced on your car.

• Sponsors (?)

My driver side balljoint was doing the same thing, a weird flexing noise. I havent replaced it yet I just poked a small hole and sprayed some grease in it. That fixed it for now I plan to replace it when I lower the car

You will also experience weird noises (usually described as popping) from the front end at low speeds when turning (a parking lot is the classic example), if your steering rack bushings are worn out. It's a very easy and inexpensive fix, and it tightens up the steering a little, so I highly recommend it (even if it's not the direct cause of your problem :D).

Dave

I have to second what Dave said. If the rack bushings are shot, the popping/creaking sounds are quite noticeable. New polyurethane ones are just $10.95 from Summit (ENS-4-10103G). The part# is for bushings with a center drilled mounting hole.