Possible Fuel Laek

coachpete

Apr 16, 2008
Hello All,

I drive home the other day and I park my 86 Mustang in the Garage. I went out later that night to the garage and smelled gasoline in the air. I looked under my car and I found nothing along the fuel lines or the engine. I came to the back of the car and I saw a small wet spot on the garage floor directly under the fuel tank vent of my Mustang. The spot on the floor was indeed gas but there was not a constant flow or drip of the gasoline.

I bought this vehicle about 2 months ago and I had never filled the tank completely until the day that I smelled gas in the garage, no this to me seemed like a coincidence but I have drove the car for the past couple of days to run down the amount of gas in the tank and still there is a smell in the garage along with a small coin sized wet spot on my garage floor.

The car drives fine and I am stumped to wt is going on an wondering if any of you outer have had the same problem. Please post response and any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• Sponsors (?)

In case you find it to be the filler grommet:

Though it's done on a 94-95, the procedure is almost exactly the same on Aero foxes (I think it's easier on aero foxes). Take a look through this tech thread.

Good luck.