Possible Goodbye

• Sponsors (?)

ADRENLN said:
well good luck ive thought about switching a couple of times, but i think i will hang on to the stang as long as ford themselves don't piss me off. anyway between the two, the evo is supposed to be a little faster but it looks like crap. whats the point of having a fast car that looks like crap? the sti looks pretty bad ass and will still smoke almost everything. i considered the sti, its a nice car! go for the sti. i would consider the g35 not as fast but beautiful car.
you can get some stillen parts, like a supercharger for the g35.
if you have some time before you make up your mind there is supposed to be some pretty bad a$$ cars coming out. like the new lightning! :nice:

Actually the EVO is better on skidpad and slalom, but the STi is faster straight line... If the G35 was AWD, I'd have it in the mix ... AWD was one of the requirements of my new purchase ...

89stang306 said:
Good luck either way you go. Clutches are not that easy to kill either in a hi hp AWD car if you buy the right one. Any organic clutch last's a very short while with that kind of power. As far as "stages", the good manufacturers use PP weights to classifly their clutches, not stages. An ACT clutch will cost you under 400 for the 2600 lbs pp but when they go bad, the disc is under 140 bucks. And you are giving up a burnout to be able to rape and RWD car out of the whole on the street on stock tires, not a bad trade off if all you are worried about is power and not showing off with burnouts. Good luck dude, Cobra's rock but so do the other two, don't let closed minded people try to sway you from something you could enjoy a lot.

Thanks 89stang306 ... I knew that posting here would get alot of "that sucks, mustangs rule" replies ... I was hoping for some insight on the choice at hand. I hadnt thought about the resale value the subaru will hold (which was stated earlier, and I confirmed with a quick search on used vehicles at autotrader.com)

I've been beyond "cool burnouts" for a while. If you set your car up right, you shouldnt smoke the tires, and the money I was spending on GOOD rubber, I wouldnt want to burn them away. When you spend over 600 bucks on the rear 315's, you tend to not want to burn out just because it looks "cool"

MT1083 said:
Don't worry about it. Just don't put a fart can exhaust on it. I actually like the subaru's too but I still prefer my mustang.

Fear not, I would NEVER "rice out" any vehicle that I own. In fact the wing on both cars was a huge deterant at first. I have found some aftermarket deck lids for the rear that would look a bit toned down from the huge factory wing. If I ever did replace the exhaust, It would be done with performance in mind, and not the sound (after all it is only a 4 cyl)

The wife and I both agree that the mustang looks AWESOME, but weather here, as well as some other factors, and my desire for awd have pushed us away from the stang at least for now. When they new body mustang has been out for a couple years, I'll be ready to trade in and I can go back to the stang at that point, unless I'm just absolutely crazed over the AWD Turbo :)

The cool burnouts was a joke, someone mentioned that farther up the thread like that was a reason to stay with a stang. I do not believe in burnouts on 250 dollar tires either. The wing is a "bit" much on the evo, kinda looks like a park bench but at the same time, its factory stock and so was the Cobra R wing that was also a park bench. I think I would have to keep it. As for exhaust, many people can call em fart cannons or whatever they want but that is from only seeing honda rice rockets. Apexi and HKS are about the two best you are going to find but for a turbo car with 3 inch exhaust all the way back, you are not going to find smaller than a 120 mm tip, its about 4 inches but looks nice on that type of car, just not a 1.5 liter honda with 1 7/8 piping all the way back to there. Also you will not get the crappy sound because the turbo will muffle a lot of it. My AWD car is straight 3 inch from the O2 housing back with an Apexi muffler and it just makes a loud roaring/whooshing noise, I love the setup.

my friend does have a 03 EVO w/ reflashed ECU,BOV, and some other good looking exterior mods. It ran a 13.25 at the local strip quick car. I'd say go for which ever you liek the best STI or EVO the few of the good imports in my book. Supra,RX7,EVO,Impreza are the best imports

97SVTCobra said:
Thanks 89stang306 ... I knew that posting here would get alot of "that sucks, mustangs rule" replies ... I was hoping for some insight on the choice at hand. I hadnt thought about the resale value the subaru will hold (which was stated earlier, and I confirmed with a quick search on used vehicles at autotrader.com)

I've been beyond "cool burnouts" for a while. If you set your car up right, you shouldnt smoke the tires, and the money I was spending on GOOD rubber, I wouldnt want to burn them away. When you spend over 600 bucks on the rear 315's, you tend to not want to burn out just because it looks "cool"
I'll try to be constructive, hehe. I have been there and done that and I am back to my GT. I luv the sound of a built V8, you just can't match it with a 4 banger. Maybe you should look into renting one, although I doubt that would be possible, but you don't know until you try. If not maybe a short lease to make sure that is what you want to do prior to committing. It sounds like money is not a problem for you so really it is just your comfort level you have to deal with...

Best wishes!

Bo

I like both of the cars you are considering. (By the way, I don't think either of those qualify as "Ricers" because the performance is way up there.)

I am seriously considering getting AWD on my next car but I hopefully have a few more years with the Stang before I have to decide.

You're always welcome on the board no matter what you drive.

Bob

I was alreayd leaning towards the STi .. and thats what I'm going with ... I should take delivery tomorrow afternoon provided the winter tires come in tomorrow's UPS delivery. (Bridgestone Blizzak's being added for the wonderful winter here)

I definately see your side of the arguement. The Sti is a great car and you cant really beat the performance/price ratio. Yes if it were me I would lean on the cobra but in the latest hot rod as was mentioned, the editors had a VERY hard time picking which one they wanted and were leaning more towards the STI. You can make them very fast and you dont even have to change a pulley ;). Good luck in whichever you post. Also the 4g63 engine in the Lancer is a great platform but i would have to go STI. Later, and keep us updated.
Matt

I "believe" that either car can be ordered without the wing, but I may be wrong.

That being said, you have to consider which car you want in regards to upgrades.

The EVO already has a FMIC, and installing a larger one isn't as much of a pain as in the STi. A lot of companies do make a TMIC for the STi, but installing a FMIC on the STi takes more work, more piping, etc.

I also "believe" that there are more aftermarket parts available for the STi than the EVO, but I may be wrong again.

Sound wise, I think the STi wins. The Suby 4 seems to make a deeper rumble than the EVO, but in the end, the STi has greater potential. More displacement too.

You'd have to drive both to figure out which one you like better.

Mr. Jack said:
You know what I would do?

Wait for 2005 GT. I realize that the GT will not have 03-04 Cobra horsepower, but I think the new Mustangs are going to be quality cars.

If wait was an option, I might consider it, but I need a car LOL. I could buy a beater car and wait a year, but I need a performance car. Without something fun to drive to work, I'd probably stay home LOL

Besides, I I try not to buy first model year cars, they are usually flaky. The WRX has been around a while, and I feel confident that Subaru knows how to make AWD/4-wheel drive cars...