Possible Short in Battery Cables???

SeventyMach1

Keep it lubed .... keep it straight .... and keep
Mar 30, 2005
North Carolina
Here's the deal. Car sat for several months waiting for new tranny. Got new tranny. Put it in. Fired right up. Drove several miles. Shut off.... then the car did not want to start up.... battery dead (clicking) sound. Sherriff pushed (jumped) me off. Did this once again.... but there was NO clicking sound.... no juice at all. Sherriff #2 pushed me off, as using his jumper cables didn't work.....

Well a few hours ago, I went outside to see if it would start. NOTHING. Popped hood, removed cables. Went in for a phone call. Just minutes later I come back out and put the cables back on..... she fires right up. Could it be some kind of short in the cables??? Is there anywhere in particular these cars are notorious for shorting?

• Sponsors (?)

You might have had a bad connection at the batteries and you fixed it by removing/reinstalling them.

Take them off again, and clean the contacts on the batteries and the clamps. Also remove the body grounds and clean them too. Also remove the ground wire from wherever it goes (engine block I think, can't remember) and clean it too.

If you had a short, you would be popping fuses.
Scott

my brothers car was doing something like that the other day. The metal part of the cables that go around the battery were all rotted looking. Sanded the inside the metal down the new metal and it worked. I think you would notice that but just telling.

SeventyMach1 said:
Cleaned the contacts with wire brush. Installed NEW battery connectors. Sprayed them with anti-corrosion sealant. Problem solved. Thanks guys.

No problem. Thanks for posting your solution. Good to see when our advice actually works :rlaugh:
Scott