Possible to pass Emissions w/o smog pump?

Must5a0angGt86

Founding Member
Mar 21, 2002
CT
I was just wondering if it was possible to pass emissions w/o the smog pump. I still have Cats on my car, and was wondering if that was enough to pass emissions. I also read somewhere that if you put that stuff dry gas into your car it will help pass emissions...whats that all about? Thanks a lot guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes it will pass the emissions test, mine did, just not a visual if your state does it. Luckily they are doing away with our testing next year.
I just threw a good catted h-pipe on and ran thru the test no problems.

RIXX93GT said:
Yes it will pass the emissions test, mine did, just not a visual if your state does it. Luckily they are doing away with our testing next year.
I just threw a good catted h-pipe on and ran thru the test no problems.

If you run the cats all the time you'll need the smog pump running to the h-pipe or your cats will clog and performance will fall off drastically as the smog pump sends air to the cats (the catalyst) to break down the unburned HCs. Without the catalyst (the air) being introduced into the cats it will clog the cats.
Tim

18mustangs said:
If you run the cats all the time you'll need the smog pump running to the h-pipe or your cats will clog and performance will fall off drastically as the smog pump sends air to the cats (the catalyst) to break down the unburned HCs. Without the catalyst (the air) being introduced into the cats it will clog the cats.
Tim

explain how hundreds of cars run catted exhaust with no smog equipment......I'm not saying your wrong, just asking since you seem to know what your talking about.

88GT17MA said:
explain how hundreds of cars run catted exhaust with no smog equipment......I'm not saying your wrong, just asking since you seem to know what your talking about.
Some later model catalytic converers are made to be used without the extra air provided by the smog pump.

The cats on fox bodied Mustangs were the first generation devices and needed the extra air from the smog pump to do the job.

Look up the inspection process and requirements for your area on the web. They should tell you what the process is. If not contact someone via email and ask as many questions as you can think of.

I recently contacted Washington state emissions folks and found out that there is no NOx test standard here. That means that cars in WA state that have had the EGR removed can still pass the pipe test.

my.03 cents

jrichker said:
Some later model catalytic converers are made to be used without the extra air provided by the smog pump.

The cats on fox bodied Mustangs were the first generation devices and needed the extra air from the smog pump to do the job.

What about with the use of aftermarket cats?