Post turbo swap exhaust help

thewrongguy

Founding Member
Feb 1, 2002
Windsor, ON Canada
I've got everything ready for the swap, and planned some time off work so I'll have the time to do it.

Unfortunately I haven't really given much thought to the exhaust system. My plan was to get the engine in and use the stock 2.3 exhaust system for about a month or two before doing a driveway exhaust change.

What work is involved in attaching the 2.3T exhaust to the stock exhaust system. As I said it's going to be a temporary situation and I'll consider any MacGivering.

Thanks

Jeff

• Sponsors (?)

it would be considerably more work to attached the stock 2.3 exhaust and upgrade than to start with a turbo exhaust in the first place.
for connecting the NA exhaust, you would need a downpipe, and somehow get the exhaust turned to connect it to the NA exhaust. if you look under the car, it is at a wierd angle, with several cats in the way of doing anything.
Just start with a turbo exhaust, but if you can't do that, run an open downpipe, or put a muffler on your downpipe and run it. Trust me, it won't be any louder than my NA exhaust. :eek:

i would recomend removing the cats too. when i did my swap i tryed to run it with the cats on the car but. my car wouldnt rev at all. so i took them completely out, if you need cat i would suggest hiflow ones.

would you suggest running the exhaust straight back on the passenger side, or dicking around to get it over to the drivers side. The only reason I ask about the drivers side is I'm a little concerned with the fuel lines and filter on the passenger side, I think the frame would seperate the fuel line and the exhaust but I'm just concerned about the fuel getting too hot.

Thanks again

Jeff

I don't think there is any problem with the fuel lines. Ive never specifically looked for them, but I do know they enter the engine bay on the drivers side. The turbo actually does a bit of muffling itself. I ran straight out of the turbo for about a week with no problems. It is probably not a great idea but what can ya do? I got pulled over once by a bicycle cop (long story) who informed me my muffler was "broken" lol....

I agree with Bhuff but only partially.....
Definately better less work to do the exhaust with the swap. However I'm a cheap SOB so I bent a piece of exhaust pipe to connect a stock DP to an N/A Exhaust system. So you got me there. :rolleyes:

I now have what I think is the ultimate...EPA legal exhaust.
Stinger's 3" Down pipe, 3" Connecting pipe, 3" Hi-flow cat, connecting to a Borla XR-1 15" sportsman round track muffler( :hail2: ) and out the pass. side through a Mac 3" 2 piece tail pipe.
The only part of the system that's not 3" is where turbo outlet elbow is. Coming Soon.

Lx89Stang05 said:
i would recomend removing the cats too. when i did my swap i tryed to run it with the cats on the car but. my car wouldnt rev at all. so i took them completely out, if you need cat i would suggest hiflow ones.

I think there's something else wrong with your car if it wouldn't rev with cats on. Unless you're talking about top-end-near-redline RPMs...

I am picking up my 2 SVO's this weekend and I already have dual 2.5 on my car out of a y pipe after the cat. Will I have to go to the downpipe also to get this to connect? What advantage will I get with 3" over 2.5" pipes

kiddiccarus said:
I am picking up my 2 SVO's this weekend and I already have dual 2.5 on my car out of a y pipe after the cat. Will I have to go to the downpipe also to get this to connect? What advantage will I get with 3" over 2.5" pipes
First I have a question.
You're picking up 2 SVOs, what does that have to do with the exhaust on your car? Are you planning on taking them apart for a turbo swap?
3" exhaust will make the turbo spool sooner. If you go with duals then make sure you have a big Y-pipe.

kiddiccarus said:
Yes one of the two will go into my 93 and the other is going to be built up for future usage. So the question pertaining to the exhaust is valid because I need to know so I can make the changes when I put in the SVO.

Are you getting to SVO engines or two SVO's?

Stinger