Powdercoating the stainless trim around windows

65fastbackresto

Apr 13, 2007
AR
My window trim (the stainless) looks prettty junky but its all straight. I just talked to a powdercoating shop that can either shadow chrome or just black them out for me for about $5 a running foot. I`ve never tried this but I`m worried about fitment at the joints after its all done. Has anyone here tried this or have any advice.

My theme is a hotrod black car with most if not all the shiny stuff coated black, either a gloss to contrast the flat black on the car, or shadow chrome.

• Sponsors (?)

My window trim (the stainless) looks prettty junky but its all straight. I just talked to a powdercoating shop that can either shadow chrome or just black them out for me for about $5 a running foot. I`ve never tried this but I`m worried about fitment at the joints after its all done. Has anyone here tried this or have any advice.

My theme is a hotrod black car with most if not all the shiny stuff coated black, either a gloss to contrast the flat black on the car, or shadow chrome.

You know I have been thinking the exact same thing for the window trim on the '84 GT. I believe it was originally painted semi-gloss black by Ford, but Powder Coating could be just the perfect durable solution!

It was my understanding that the shadowchrome was a translucent clear with a dye included to darken it up. But its is baked on so yes its a tue powdercoat. I`ll know more later I`m going to check out some of his work either today or tomorrow.

Hi
Regarding the re-fitment after coating there, most likely, will be some cleanup involved. Trim tabs will need cleaning to get a proper "lay". I too agree, only the top surface be coated.
I had my intake coated, while a nice job, I had to draw-file the intake mating surfaces.
I love this technology.

I was sanding off what looked like surface rust on my vent window frame and it has dark pits. Does that mean that the vent window frame is junk, or can I rust proof it then take it in to get powder coated?

Those that know more about metal than I do, let me know, thanks.

I ended up sanding them all the way down until I got rid of the pits. I am in the process of going over them with a fine sand paper to smooth them out and plan on taking one of the vent window frames to the powder coat to see if it comes out okay.