Power seat question on my 98

Hello all, new (to me) Mustang owner here. I have a question about the driver side power seat. It moves forward and back but not up or down. Any ideas what to look for to correct this? Is it a common problem? The car is great otherwise. Just waiting for some decent weather to drive it. Thanks in advance, JOHN
Here's a pic.
103_1178.jpg

Attachments

• 103_1178.jpg
    103_1178.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome! :D

Mine had the same problem pretty much. I had to replace the track the it slides on and now it works perfectly. Its not much work. Unscrew a few bolts pull the seat out, take the track off, swap em out, connect the wires, bolt it back in and you should be good to go. Simple. :]

Welcome! :D

Mine had the same problem pretty much. I had to replace the track the it slides on and now it works perfectly. Its not much work. Unscrew a few bolts pull the seat out, take the track off, swap em out, connect the wires, bolt it back in and you should be good to go. Simple. :]

So , in your case it wasn't the motor at all , just the track? I wonder how the track gets damaged?

mine has the same problem.
I found that there is some sort of polarity short in the harness. I am the only one that drives it so I just leave it back and down all the time.

But if I need it move I have connected a wire to the harness that stays tucked under the seat. I then connect it to a lantern battery so I can manually change my polarities so it will then move forward and up, but won't go back and down or vise versa dependent upon my polarity configuration to the battery.

I am sure that makes no sense. I connect alligator clips to the harness on the seat itself. I then connect the other end of the wires to the lantern battery.
It will move up and forward. If I want it to go back and down I switch the wires on the battery and it will function.
So there is a short somewhere in the harness or maybe the switch on the seat allowing it to function one way or another.
A picture might help.
View attachment 275069