Power Steering Issue - 1967 Fastback GT

Chris L.

May 4, 2004
I purchased the vehicle with the power steering inoperable and drove that way for approximately 1000 miles. The seller hit a "high spot" on pavement and broke the bracket that holds the power cylinder to the frame and said that the system had worked fine prior to it breaking. The seller had removed the power steering belt and tied up the power cylinder to the frame in order to increase the driveability of the vehicle. I had my mechanic fix the frame where the bracket had been and reattach it. He also adjusted the control valve to factory specs. Now the car shakes whenever the wheel is turned side to side when the car is stationary and while turning at low speeds. When going straight at all speeds the car is fine. The power steering works fine as far as I can tell in all other respects. Front tires are 15/215 and rear tires are 15/235. All front end components are new....you name it, it is new. Could the reason for the problem be the oversize tires?? The seller insists that the car did not do this when the power steering worked while he owned the car. The seller lives 300 miles away, so I cannot have him test drive the car for his opinion......HELP!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Since it shakes when the car isn't moving then I would think it is the power steering pump causing the engine to bog or something which would make the car shake a little. Is it an engine shake? I took my power steering off so I don't know a whole lot about it but I can’t think of any other way the rest of the system could shake. I dont know if it would make a shake if the lines are hooked up wrong but aren't fittings different sizes which would make it imppossible to hook up wrong? I would think it would blow a hose if hooked up wrong. If you think it is a tire problem then jack up the car while it is running and see what happens when you turn the wheel.