Power Steering Noise

Mustang Jim

Founding Member
Nov 1, 2001
New Jersey
Hi. I recently converted over from non-power steering to a Borgeson power steering system in my 64.5. Everything went well, until the Saginaw pump began to leak after about 6 months. They gave me a new pump and I installed it a couple of weeks back. Now I'm getting a "swishing" noise that I can only hear inside the car. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like water going through a garden hose when there's a kink in it. I've checked the PS hoses and there does not seem to be any kinks in the hoses and metal parts.

Note that I replaced the rag joint for a u-joint when I first installed the system as I didn't like the installation with rag joint. Could the sound be transmitting up the steering column? I didn't get that sound with the original Saginaw pump. I'm using Prestone PS fluid and it's topped off. The belt is properly tightened and I've followed the proper bleeding procedures, or so I think. I have driven the car for 25 miles so far and made plenty of turns, so I would expect that any air in the system should have work its way out by now.

Any suggestions? Did I miss anything?

Thanks,
Jim

• Sponsors (?)