Power steering or alignment issues??

GREENBIOCH

Founding Member
Mar 22, 2002
In an Igloo
Well when I'm driving there is a whine or humming noise coming from the front end. It will do it while driving straight and it gets worse when I'm turning left at higher speeds (80km/h)~50-55mph, around long bends. turning right at the same speeds there is no noise, it almost sounds like road noise with off road tires on the car. I recently just had new front tires put on, but the noise was there before, that is why I changed them, cause they were getting bald and I thought that was the problem. Recently I've been thinking maybe its the power steering pump, but I sucked out all the fluid I could with a turkey baster and replaced it with fresh ATF, still whining occurs. Should I try getting the front end aligned or has anyone had a similar experience and could help me out.

Thanks for the replies in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

It sounds like an alignment issue to me especially if the previous set of tires were balding. I don't have to ask you, but does the car pull at all on a flat road? I'd also re-check the tire inflation just to be sure especially if you have low profiles.

A guy I know brought up the issue of a bad wheel bearing as well, possibly?? you think? It would explain it only happening when the weight of the car is on the one side??

I will try getting some bearings for the front of the car and maybe do an alignment as well, hopefully one or the other will fix the problem. :shrug:

If you are going to do the bearings, then you might as well just go ahead and do them. I replaced my rear axle bearings when I did the gear/t-lok thing, so I'm sure it wouldn't hurt seeing that I think you tool around in a 98 as well.

Ghostalker said:
no, i wouldnt be biased toward my color either 'deep forest green' i love it man... its not really green green, looks blue too alot...

Do away you non-green Mustang driver you! Just kidding. The only thing that sucks about having a metallic flake finish is when it comes time to slap on body kits. They are a little more expensive to paint and harder to match. Oh well,I'll live with it! :nice:

Any luck wwith that front end?

BTW GB, look at the door sticker for the exterior color code.

98StangRidah said:
BLACK MUSTANGS RULE
just so you greeners know :D

Black is for lemmings.....be original and get hot pink!

I ordered the hub and bearing for the front tire, have to wait till tues to get it. apparently its a set, cost me $81 bucks from Autosource, the dealer wanted $130. :nonono:

So I'm hoping thats the problem, then I may get the alignment.

My car was making a really wierd noise the other day, it was making a hum too and clicking on the driver side. When i got home i looked under in my wheel well, and my lower break deflector was broke. Only one side where it was riveted broke so i just broke the other side off and took it out. There not really needed for intown driving anyway, but i'll replace it as soon as i get to the ford dealership. Having Five spoke 17's make it really easy to see if crap is going wrong in that area. :D

Got the new hub assembly in, it was the wheel bearing. Everything is quiet as a mouse now!

needed to buy a 1 5/8" socket with a 3/4" drive though, those axle nuts are humungus. anyways, now I'm itching for some NAWS!! :p

Well I'm at 168000kms(160kms = ~100miles). I had 80 000kms when I bought it almost three years ago, So you can see I drive it alot, its the daily driver though. Winter, rain, sun, nuclear meltdown year round this bioch is the work horse till the engine dies(thats just for you Justin.)

But I'm thinking of throwing in the Nitrous and when I pay the car off in 2 more years or less(hopefully) I will put money into a rebuild, but I'm running the engine into the ground right now, 150 shot baby!! OK I wish, but it would be fun for one run. :p