Power steering pump

ROB_D

Apr 24, 2014
I have a 93 5.0 ho, I purchased a reman Motorcraft pump and it whines like from what I'm told they all do.
does anyone have a solution for this ? is a 94-95 pump any better and will it bolt up? I can't imagine that this is just accepted as normal from all the posts I've read everywhere.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 93 5.0 ho, I purchased a reman Motorcraft pump and it whines like from what I'm told they all do.
does anyone have a solution for this ? is a 94-95 pump any better and will it bolt up? I can't imagine that this is just accepted as normal from all the posts I've read everywhere.
They whine . Ps fluid . Type f like they call for etc . I have a new reman in my car too it makes noise .

I managed to quiet mine done by hand priming it while turning lock to lock, with a vacuum pump attached to the resevioir. It made a huge difference.

I’m still running original pump

Reactions: 1 user
I just put a new one in last month. The whining is air in the system, you have to purge the air according to Ford's procedure.
Jack up the front end until the wheels are off the ground.
Start the engine, rotate the steering from just off lock right to just off lock left.
Let it sit in the near lock for 30 sec before rotating to the opposite lock.
Continue to do this for 10-15 minutes.
It helps if you pull a vaccuum on the reservoir. There's a little tiny hole in the cap you can use with a MityVac.
The cap needs to make a good seal against the reservoir neck.