Power steering questions

MY 76 that i just got is missing the power steering pump and brackets not sure if the rack is good or not.

Will a manual rack fit in its place?

I have a spare II pump from a 2.3 are they the same?

What 76 vintage ford brackets will inter change?

Can anybdy help me on this? Not sure what route I want to go with it.

Thanks

Steve

• Sponsors (?)

I replaced my power steering with a manual rack and I love it so far. It isn't that hard to turn the wheel even when it is parked. Also there is a lot more room around the oil pan, more horsepower w/o the drag from the pump and less weight.

d

March

Well I can't answer your ?'s as far as swapping brackets. But I can give some maybe valuable info as far as brackets and power steering goes.

I had bought the billet pulley's and brackets from MARCH. I later found out when putting them on, all the spacers and hardwear wasn't right that they gave me. They do not make the correct hardwear and spacers for 76-78 Mustangs. You have to put washers behind the brackets, use your own bolts, and measure with a caliper tool and call them up and tell them the size you need to fit and they will cut them and send the right size. I havn't measured yet but I have the brackets on and as close as possible, as far as I can tell.
Also the power steering bracket they give you will not work with the stock plastic resevior power steering pump for a 77,78. You have to use the stock pump off of a 76 for it to fit correctly. And then the stock power steering hose for a 77,78 won't fit the back of the new 76 power steering pump. I still have my old one for my 78 pump in right now but due to it not being the right one, I have to remove it.
If anyone has used March for there pulley and bracket kit and has the exact sizes on hand please forward them to me as it will save me a lil time.

Oh and also if you go with an aftermarket chrome ALT (like from powermaster) you will have to grind down the bracket that will attatch to the adjustable Hime Joint.

Dan