Power train input

MTV593

5 Year Member
May 2, 2018
South Carolina
Looking for some advice, I'm trying to plan out my power train goals right now and I'm at a critical point. I have the fresh 306 in the car. I really want a nice broad NA power band. Any advice on an HCI combo that will get me that with the little sbf. Stock heads + valve train + Edelbrock rpm + fitech 600 HP efi kit for reference. Open to budget minded swaps* (budget being relative I know). Car is a 306 with a 4 cyl t5 and soon to have a cobra IRS. If I keep the sbf I'm going to get a t5z or upgrade the gears in the existing t5. Thanks in advance guys.

• Sponsors (?)

AFR 185 heads, a Holley Systemax intake, custom ground cam from Ed Curtis at Flowtech. That has always been a proven combo. He will make the cam give you the power/torque curve you prefer.

Or if you want a kit with everything pieced together for ease of install, the Trickflow top end kit with a stage 1 cam has made many people happy as well.

Reactions: 1 user
A belt driven supercharger with a mild cam will get you a broad power band. Good throttle response down low and the power really comes on at higher rpms.

The little 306 will always be a little 306, unless you force feed it so it thinks its a big block.