Power Window Issue Up Appears To Get Power Down Nothing 91lx

vladtepes

Feb 12, 2010
91 lx
drivers side up and down no issue
pass side will NOT come down, but what i noticed is when you hit the up the volt meter moves a tad indicating up SEEMS to be working or at least doing something, i obviously can't tell since it won't go down... but when i hit down the volt meter doesnt even budge.. i tried searching on here and didnt really see any issues like that..

going to mess with it tomorrow where do i start..

thanks..

• Sponsors (?)

pull the door panel off and unbolt the motor. Pop the plastic gear off the motor and inspect the bushings. They often disintegrate over time. If they look rough you can get replacements on line or at autozone. Re-install the motor and hit the switch to see if it turns. If the motor is binding inside the window regulator or the window isnt aligned in the track well the relay will click or draw power, but the motor wont turn. If the

Can you hear the motor running but nothing's happening? If you can't hear anything, then it's my guess, but a power window motor is just a DC motor. That means it will run in both directions (cw and ccw) by reversing the polarity, which happens at the switch. I'd suspect the switch first. Unhook the switch and put 12V across the wires going to the motor and then swap them. If it goes both ways then it's the switch. If it doesn't, then the problem's most probably the motor. Again, just my guess.

great will check it out...i only know the motor is doing SOMETHING in the UP motion because i can see it drawing power as the volts definitely drop.. but nothing in the down.. so then i guess the motor IS just getting stuck OR the switch is bad.. good call.. will go check it out now..

OK pulled the interior door panel off and getting to the motor looks ridiculous.. but did check out the wiring and dont know if this is normal..

there are TWO wires that go to the motor.. one is red and the other is yellow.. so i checked power with a test light...

when i push UP only ONE wire shows power
when i push DOWN BOTH wires show power

is that normal or could that be part of my problem?

OK pulled the interior door panel off and getting to the motor looks ridiculous.. but did check out the wiring and dont know if this is normal..

there are TWO wires that go to the motor.. one is red and the other is yellow.. so i checked power with a test light...

when i push UP only ONE wire shows power
when i push DOWN BOTH wires show power

is that normal or could that be part of my problem?

If your test light was grounded on the body or similar, it makes sense. You're getting 12V on one wire and nothing on the other in the UP but both are hot in DWN. That would keep the motor from moving.... I'd hate to run you on a wild-goose chase. Maybe you could get the wiring diagram for the pwr window circuit. That would help a lot. You can learn a lot with just that test light. While you're in there, make sure nothing's bound up and you might want to lube up the workings with white lithium grease. It comes in a spray can.

ok great i think im getting somewhere..

one wire is up one wire is down...

down was not working so i cut and flipped the wires

when i did so and pushed up the window went right down with NO issue! when i switch the wires back and pushed up works perfect window goes right back up...

so does this mean my switch is bad? what does this mean! tell me StangNet! so im not stuck sweating to death this summer!

I suggest before you splice any more windows to go to your local pull it and grab a switch. They are much cheaper than a harness or your time to repair spliced wires gone awry.

I suggest before you splice any more windows to go to your local pull it and grab a switch. They are much cheaper than a harness or your time to repair spliced wires gone awry.

yeah man i hear you but unfortunately with working 45 hours a week due to this **** economy i gotta make due with what i have at the moment one wire is power up and one is down so i dont think that switching them is going to exactly cause any issues.. this is my first mustang but ive worked on cars for years..

edit its NOT the switch because if it was it would work on the driver side and it doesnt.. so wtf is wrong with this thing..

Unless the driver's side goes through the passenger side switch. Like fiveoh says, try to find another switch, or get some contact cleaner on that passenger side switch.

More often than not, things that quit working are things that don't get used much, especially in cars.

yeah man i hear you but unfortunately with working 45 hours a week due to this **** economy i gotta make due with what i have at the moment one wire is power up and one is down so i dont think that switching them is going to exactly cause any issues.. this is my first mustang but ive worked on cars for years..

A five dollar switch is better than a day of missed work or a rental car for 30 bucks a day cause your car is down and out due to spliced wires. A bit extreme I realize, but it could happen. I was stranded on the side of the road for almost two hours waiting for a tow truck for a 9.99 part. Play it safe, spend five bones you wont regret it.

A five dollar switch is better than a day of missed work or a rental car for 30 bucks a day cause your car is down and out due to spliced wires. A bit extreme I realize, but it could happen. I was stranded on the side of the road for almost two hours waiting for a tow truck for a 9.99 part. Play it safe, spend five bones you wont regret it.

its not the money for the part just the lack of time.. just to be clear splicing the wires was NOT a permanent solution i just wanted to see if the motor was working.. i do NOT intend to leave it like that at all.. but im still not sure exactly whats causing it since it works once switched... and the same thing happens regardless of it being driver OR pass..

mine did the same ****. the driver went up and down,t he passenger went up and not down. what was happening is theres 2 wires to it, when it goes up one is positive, ones neg. when you hit down they switch so the positive is now the negative, negative is now positive, when i was hitting down it was putting out 12 volts positive to both wires. we just ran a new wire from the driver side switch to the passenger side switch and that seemed to fix it

god this is frustrating.. i think there IS some kind of short.. there is an alarm installed in some ghetto fabulous way *sigh*.... and there is a rats nest of wires under the console on the drivers side.. when i move that stuff around the window works... so i guess im looking there for some wire problem? what am i looking for a bare pink wire? why is the fuse not popping?

thanks all for the help you have provided so far.. this site really is helpful..

god this is frustrating.. i think there IS some kind of short.. there is an alarm installed in some ghetto fabulous way *sigh*.... and there is a rats nest of wires under the console on the drivers side.. when i move that stuff around the window works... so i guess im looking there for some wire problem? what am i looking for a bare pink wire? why is the fuse not popping?

thanks all for the help you have provided so far.. this site really is helpful..
So the window starts working normally when you move that mess of wires around...:(

You're gonna have to pull that mess out and find the open/short. It may be an intermittent connection. Look for splices and make sure they're making good connections. If you're good with a crimper or soldering iron, get that excess wire out of there while you're at it. Good luck, now that the system has been modded, your only options are to find the problem and repair it or yank the whole mess out and start over. :)