Power window issue

ggradtech

Jun 17, 2016
I'm in the process of repairing or replacing my door panels. When I re-installed the door panels, my passenger window is now dead. Wiring seems ok, and I tried swapping switches around and they all seem fine. Passenger window does nothing....from either switch.

• Sponsors (?)

Power Window tips & tricks

Motor removal & replacement

Remove the door mounted speaker & the upholstery panel to gain access to the motor. There are 3 screws (5/16" hex head, I think) that secure the motor in place. Remove them and the motor comes out without any problems. Once you remove all the screws from the motor, and it falls away from the gear teeth on the arm for the glass, the glass will move up and down. You may need a helper to hold the glass once the motor screws are out, since the gear on the motor holds the glass from sliding up or down

Motor interchange
The motor is the same for left side or right side, only the gearboxes are different. If you can't find the complete assembly for the side you want, you can get either side and use the old gearbox on the new motor.

The window motor gearbox has 3 plastic rollers that are a safety clutch to prevent possible injury if the window is rolled up while something or someone is hanging out the window. The plastic rollers will often disintegrate into chunks of plastic and the window will no longer roll up or down. The motor runs, but the window does not move or only move a little.

The Help! section of your local auto parts store will have the replacement plastic rollers.
See NAPA Window Regulator Gear Plug

235297.jpg

Napa p/n Balkamp 6651524

Cost is 9.49$

AutoZone and other auto parts stores see Dorman 74410 / Window Lift Motor Gear Kit
Cost is $7.99
s-l1600.jpg

Power Window Wiring Diagrams

Diagrams courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2birds

Fuse panel and circuit breaker layout
MustangFuseBox.gif

87-92 model cars power window wiring:

mustang87-92%20PowerWindowWiring.gif

93 model cars power window wiring:
mustang93PowerWindows.gif

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds (website host) for help on 88-95 wiring Mustang FAQ - Wiring & Engine Info Everyone should bookmark

Last edited:
Jrichker has some good info above, let me add that if the windows worked before you messed with the door panels and not after they were put back on you likely have a connection issue. Take the door panel back off check the wires, tap the motor while activating the switch, wiggle wires at the back of the switch, stuff like that.

Thanks you guys..... it's weird. Like you just mentioned, when I removed the door trim panel and wiggled wires around, it came back to life. Its really hard to see or feel anything "wire related" behind the steel door skin, but I think either the motor is on borrowed time or there has to be a wiring connection type issue going on. Is it possible that the motor is just old and finicky and maybe swapping it out would be helpful? Hey General, are you in AZ?