Power Window Problems

Birchscott

Mar 10, 2004
I'm having a very strange problem with my drivers side power window. If I push the switch, I can hear the window motor trying to pull the window down but it won't grab. I have to push the window down while holding the switch to get it down. Its the same way when putting the window up. It seems to me that the gears on the window motor may be messed up somehow. Any ideas?

Scotty E

• Sponsors (?)

i also have the same exact problem as Birchscott and 94 3.8l stang. especially 94 3.8 it is worse when its cold out. luckly for me its the passenger side window. the only problem is that the motors are expensive and i dont have the money right now to fix it, and thats the problem i know the drivers window is gonna die soon its getting really slow too.

Sounds like everyone's problems are with the actual motor. You can do one of three things...

Check to see if there is a TSB out on the motor, and get it taken care of for free.

Go through the PITA process of taking out your exsisting motor, tear it down and and regrease any parts that need to greased, as well as all the moving parts associated with the power window mechanism like the arms, track, and pivots.

Or try to replace the motor with a used one, by calling these guys up inquiring as to their supply...

Mustang Parts Specialties

I've nothing but good things to say about these guys.

I had the same problem with my 2002 3.8. I would go to push the button for the driver side window, and it would make a loud pop and then start to go down, until one day it just stopped completely. I went to the dealer to get it fixed (under warranty, thank god), and now it just makes a quieter pop when it goes down. Looks like the window itself may be out of the guide tracks, as well as the gears not grabbing. I might go get it fixed again before I throw my Mac exhaust on.

Motor Replacement

I glanced at my Haynes service manual the other day so I could get an idea of how difficult replacing the motor might be, and from what I can tell, it looks pretty tricky. Does anyone have any tips for the replacement procedure?

Thanks,
Scott

Well, I was able to figure out the problem. I tore open the motor and found that the plastic bushings inside were absolutely shreaded. There are several window motor repair kits for sale on eBay that includes new bushings...only 4 bucks too. Since I tore the motor up pretty good and I was able to find a fairly cheap replacement, I just opted for a whole new motor. Damn its great to solve a long-running problem...and for under 15 bucks...how sweet it is! :D

Birchscott said:
Well, I was able to figure out the problem. I tore open the motor and found that the plastic bushings inside were absolutely shreaded. There are several window motor repair kits for sale on eBay that includes new bushings...only 4 bucks too. Since I tore the motor up pretty good and I was able to find a fairly cheap replacement, I just opted for a whole new motor. Damn its great to solve a long-running problem...and for under 15 bucks...how sweet it is! :D

did you find the cheap replacement motor on ebay?

Well...the cheap replacement motor fell through so I opted for the cheap repair kit on eBay. For $5 bucks and shipping, you get 3 small plastic bushings that replace the, most likely, shreaded old one. It does involve removing your motor from the door as well as disassembling the motor...but it's worth it.

Heres the eBay link:
POWER WINDOW MOTOR REPAIR

Good luck

i have a small insignificant problem with my passenger side window, and im 99% sure i know what it is
About half way down (on its way down) (same exact place everytime) it kinda of jumps, or skips, if you will. i believe this is caused by a tooth is the gear missing, or damaged, it just makes a small sound when it goes down (and no sound or anything when going up) its defenately livable, just thought id mention it