Power Windows No Worky

DSB88GT

Nov 6, 2016
Good Evening all -

A little background. I purchased an 88 GT w / 95k miles. In very good shape and an excellent running Fox. Have had an issue with the power windows since I picked it up. The drivers side has worked fine. The passenger side window would only operate when using the switch on the drivers side. The passenger side switch did not work. I assumed it was a bad switch and figured I would work on it when I had some extra time. Fast fwd to a couple days ago. Both windows don't work now. They are both in the down position. I checked all the power connections with a multi-meter, and was getting 12 volts at all the connections in the mount that the switches plug into. Additionally, I checked all 3 switches with a multimeter and they all appear to be fine when checking both up and down operation.

I can't imagine that both motors went out at the same time. The motors sounded fine before this happened, no squealing and operated smoothly.

Any thoughts / suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Power Window tips & tricks

Motor removal & replacement

Remove the door mounted speaker & the upholstery panel to gain access to the motor. There are 3 screws (5/16" hex head, I think) that secure the motor in place. Remove them and the motor comes out without any problems. Once you remove all the screws from the motor, and it falls away from the gear teeth on the arm for the glass, the glass will move up and down. You may need a helper to hold the glass once the motor screws are out, since the gear on the motor holds the glass from sliding up or down

Motor interchange
The motor is the same for left side or right side, only the gearboxes are different. If you can't find the complete assembly for the side you want, you can get either side and use the old gearbox on the new motor.

The window motor gearbox has 3 plastic rollers that are a safety clutch to prevent possible injury if the window is rolled up while something or someone is hanging out the window. The plastic rollers will often disintegrate into chunks of plastic and the window will no longer roll up or down. The motor runs, but the window does not move or only move a little.

The Help! section of your local auto parts store will have the replacement plastic rollers.
See NAPA Window Regulator Gear Plug

235297.jpg

Napa p/n Balkamp 6651524

Cost is 9.49$

AutoZone and other auto parts stores see Dorman 74410 / Window Lift Motor Gear Kit
Cost is $7.99

Power Window Wiring Diagrams

Fuse panel and circuit breaker layout
MustangFuseBox.gif

Diagrams courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2birds
87-92 model cars power window wiring:

mustang87-92%20PowerWindowWiring.gif

93 model cars power window wiring:
mustang93PowerWindows.gif

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds (website host) for help on 88-95 wiring Mustang FAQ - Wiring & Engine Info Everyone should bookmark

Thank you for posting the wire diagrams, but I had searched and found them before I posted.

The issue is that there is power at the harness / mount that the window switches plug into, but the windows aren't moving. I can't imagine both window motors went out at the same time.

Do you have to have all 3 switches plugged into the harness / mount for the windows to work? Not sure if having them all plugged in completes the circuit or not??

I am really a noob at this whole troubleshooting thing. The extent of my mechanical knowledge doesn't go much further than oil / brake changes!

I was having the same issues on my driver side window. As it turns out, when it sits for a while, some minor corrosion can form in the motor. After taking the door panel off, I placed a screwdriver against the motor and banged with a hammer a couple of times. It freed up the motor and works fine now. I was almost ready to replace the motor, I am glad I didn't. Just be careful not to break the glass.

Reactions: 1 user
I was having the same issues on my driver side window. As it turns out, when it sits for a while, some minor corrosion can form in the motor. After taking the door panel off, I placed a screwdriver against the motor and banged with a hammer a couple of times. It freed up the motor and works fine now. I was almost ready to replace the motor, I am glad I didn't. Just be careful not to break the glass.
I saw some other posts about banging on the door to get the motor to work . I'll give it a try. Thx!

Motors are cheap. I got a pair of them for $100 from LMR. Easy to replace too. I'd just replace them and be done with it. While you're in there, look closely at the door lock actuators. They're probably beeding replaced as well, and those are $50 per pair from LMR.

Motors are cheap. I got a pair of them for $100 from LMR. Easy to replace too. I'd just replace them and be done with it. While you're in there, look closely at the door lock actuators. They're probably beeding replaced as well, and those are $50 per pair from LMR.
The most common problems with the power windows can be fixed for $8 each side -see my first post here...

I have that door actuator price beat and the replacements will outlast anything else you can use.

Follow this link to fix your door lock actuator problems

You will need the Adobe Acrobat viewer which is also a free download – http://get.adobe.com/reader/

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/attachments/door-lock-actuator-fix-pdf.88290/

Stuck with door lock actuators that don't work and don't want to pay the $50+ for a new one? Tried the junkyard ones and found that they last six months and freeze up?

A new actuator for less than $8. Fix one side for $20, do both sides for only $28. I don't sell parts, I don’t make any money off of the upgrade, I just tell you how to do it cheaply and easily.

By the way, I am still using the same $4 actuators I bought in 2002 and this is the second Mustang I have installed them in! Beat that with your fancy replacements!

At $50 per pair with the door panel push rivets and the tool, I'll just replace them.

The PDF you posted is neat, but honestly more work than I'm wanting to do to save a few bucks.

At $50 per pair with the door panel push rivets and the tool, I'll just replace them.

The PDF you posted is neat, but honestly more work than I'm wanting to do to save a few bucks.
At the $20 level, I can afford to shell out for a one time repair that has outlasted all but a small number of people who post here on Stangnet.

At the $50 level, that is enough to make me consider looking for a less expensive way to fix something.

I bought new ones for both my cars, 92 vert, lasted about 6 months, lucky they seized in the unlocked position, hardley used them, not much use locking a vert anyway, 89 gt, one works and one don't lucky again in unlocked position, I have the stuff for the fix just not done it yet, go ahead and when they seize in the locked position ask me how to get the door open without damaging the door panel.

Why not fix the problem?
Wait till it's hammer'n rain and all your friends see you bang'n on your door like a heavy metal drummer try'n to get the window up.

I do want to fix the problem. The problem is, both windows are down as the car is always in the garage. From what I've read / watched, the windows need to be in the "up" position to get the old motors out. I believe the motors are still operable because the radio clock dims when I try to operate them. I think they just somehow became stuck in the down position due to corrosion or whatnot.

Pull the door panels and find the pig tail connection, try a hot wire right from the positive battery cable right to the motor connection, they can be removed with window down just takes a little more care.

The motor is in front of the glass. Remove the three screws, unplug the connector, and carefully remove the motor so you don't hit the glass. Once the motor is out, you can raise the glass up for easier access when installing the new one.

I bought mine from LMR, they work great and already have the correct plug and wire colors.

The motor is in front of the glass. Remove the three screws, unplug the connector, and carefully remove the motor so you don't hit the glass. Once the motor is out, you can raise the glass up for easier access when installing the new one.

I bought mine from LMR, they work great and already have the correct plug and wire colors.

Perfect...I'll order from them. Thx!

I have had the same issues for the last three years where my driver side switch worked for both sides but my passenger side switch will not operate window or lock. The motors and actuators are brand new on both sides being they needed to be replaced anyway but still the passenger side switch does not work.