powersteering fluid or atf ?????

• Sponsors (?)

the return hose is a low pressure hose - it looks like a carb fuel line with a hose clamp. the high pressure hose is a nice reinforced hose with a real fitting on it.

one can also get at the return line at the 'power steering cooler' in the nose of the car. might be easier and cleaner to do flushing.

IIRC, Redline PS fluid meets requirements for ford PS systems - check before acting upon what i said (if interested) but that is my recollection (i work on too many cars that dont use the right fluid for the same name item -e.g. ATF in PS system, etc).

good luck.

I refilled mine with P/S fluid after replacing the pressure hose a few years ago. Does it really make that much difference having ATF in there instead??? I never even thought about it till reading this thread, I just cracked open my haynes manual and sure enough it says recommended fluid Motocraft Type F ATF.

Power steering fluid is like some kind of oxymoron. You pay 2 bucks or more for a little ass bottle, when you can have Dextron III for half and you get a whole quart. I've been curious about using GM Syncromesh in them to see what that'll do....it's manditory for a Tremec tranny but i dunno what it'll do in a PS pump.

I went from PSF to ATF and what a difference. It feels like the PS has been resurrected. I can turn the now silent pumped system with 1 finger and it's smooth. It also leaks ferociously which is another side effect of using ATF I guess. I wonder if it is because I am using some old type F I had sitting around.

Brake fluid swells the seals and plugs leaks you say? Hmmm...interesting. Maybe I shall give that a try.

The Shape said:
So does it make any kind ohf noticiable differnece between ATF and P/S fluid? Like I said I have had P/S fluid in mine for atleast two years and never even knew it called for ATF instead. :shrug:

PS fluid and ATF are the same thing as far as I know. I have never bought PS fluid because it costs more. It may be clear or have a different dye in it, but its still hydraulic fluid. I have always been told not to run "Type F" ATF in a PS pump or tranny that doesnt call for it. I run Dextron/Mercon. If you are running PS fluid and it looks clean (no noise), then I wouldnt worry about it.

I dont use stop leak, I just fix the leak be it a line, pump or rack.