Electrical Premium stereo questions

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
First question, on a 91 5.0 LX, does six speakers mean it came with the premium sound option?

If so, is it likely they bypassed the stock amp when the po put in a pioneer deck? Is the factory amp of much use with a decent aftermarket deck?
Will that amp be in the way when I switch around climate controls and the stereo?

• Sponsors (?)

Look at the VIN sticker on your door. The column that says “R” will have a number or letter under it (see pic below. In this case it’s a 9).
That will indicate what radio came with the car. Google the code on your sticker to see what was factory.

Attachments

• C97E84C9-DA54-4662-BCA4-28A20B14A7E9.png
    C97E84C9-DA54-4662-BCA4-28A20B14A7E9.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 68
Most modern head units can easily exceed the specs of the factory amp just by themselves. The 1993 amp was 80 watts. I think the 87-92 amp was 60watt.

in other words the factory amp is useless with a quality head unit

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Crutchfield lists the single DIN unit I want as a modified fit. It sounds like the factory amp might as well go if it is not already gone.

“Installation notes:
  • To create enough space for the new receiver, you must remove the factory amp's bracket and cut off the metal studs on the transmission tunnel. “

I never had to do that for a single din. Double din yes, but single sits where the oem head unit fits and you are well away from that bracket. I wouldn’t trim those studs unless absolutely necessary.

if you don’t mind modding the car up more, you can go with one of these relocation kits too.

I really like the double din setup but can’t bring myself to cut up a nice black dash to do it.

Just FYI. A single din goes in a mustang without an installation kit. You remove the factory radio, remove the plastic cubby off the bottom. I think there is a plastic bracket on the top of the plastic cubby that also gets removed. Install cubby first then put in the aftermarket radio surround. Slide radio in and done. No need to screw holes in the console for a radio face install kit. I hate seeing people do that. I've had more mustangs than I can count over the last 20 years. All of them got aftermarket radios. I have never used one of those screw on kits to do it.

All you need is the wiring kit and the radio.

• Useful
Just FYI. A single din goes in a mustang without an installation kit. You remove the factory radio, remove the plastic cubby off the bottom. I think there is a plastic bracket on the top of the plastic cubby that also gets removed. Install cubby first then put in the aftermarket radio surround. Slide radio in and done. No need to screw holes in the console for a radio face install kit. I hate seeing people do that. I've had more mustangs than I can count over the last 20 years. All of them got aftermarket radios. I have never used one of those screw on kits to do it.

All you need is the wiring kit and the radio.
The Pioneer deck that came in my car retained the factory cubby, and they had a satellite radio bracket screwed to the surround. It is hard to read during the day, and has either an aux in or out, not both. The metal face plate I have (I think) puts the radio up top and has room for three gauges. We’ll see if there is really room for all that when I get the head unit I want.